My name is Dave and I'm an addict. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-22-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

been a litle strange, but I consider fuel economy to be a personal best challenge, like drag racing or autoxing. I liked the idea of this board so here I am. Which is saying a lot, because I've been in board membership consolidation for the last year

It's always been a litle strange, but I consider fuel economy to be a personal best challenge, like drag racing or autoxing. I liked the idea of this board so here I am. Which is saying a lot, because I've been in board membership consolidation for the last year(they've splintered out of control as far as I'm concerned). After being around for 8+ years, I was just tired of the same old crap.
So if I come across jaded or you don't quite get my sense of humor, don't take it personally. I'm usually pretty diplomatic about calling people an idiot.

So what am I driving?
1989 Honda CRX Si w/B18b. Its got more mods than I can reasonably list. I like it because its a wonderful balance of performance and economy. With the B swap, driving style has become even more pronounced in how it affects my mpg. If I baby it I'll get 40-42. If I flail on it, more like 25-30.

1987 Honda Civic RT4wd Wagon. Another engine hybrid. Its got a carb'd dohc ZC. I'm using a Weber 32/36 DGEV. It's all jetted and tuned but I don't drive it much (no A/C in Texas) I've got all the parts to convert it to fuel injection. I'm just looking for the time/motivation. I'm even considering alternative fuel conversions (natural gas or propane). Despite nearly doubling the stock horsepower it gets a few more mpg then stock. Mid 30s on the freeway but only 20-22 around town. The drawback of performance carbs.

2002 Mazda Protege LX. My daily driver. I've got it converted to what is mechanically the MP3 spec (all the suspension/engine work). It's missing the official MP3 radio and wheels because they didn't seem worth the effort/expense.

GasSavers_davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
*shrug*

Wow, nice cars, got any

Wow, nice cars, got any pictures of those babies?

About the carbness of the 87, you might want to consider leaving it carbed for some of the crazy stuff out there about improving mileage on carbs, I was actually gonna post up a bunch of that stuff here somewhere. I'm glad to have another addict on the boards, and a little sad that you can get better mileage with a b18b than my crx gets with a d15b2. :-(!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

The CRX looks as stock as

The CRX looks as stock as stock can be...its on Ground Controls and just a hair lower then stock. The exhaust tip is a single resonated tip....not real noticeable. Its rolling on 11lb Miata rims. But no real pictures I can post quick.

The Wagon got a project writeup w/pics here:
http://effinmotorworks.com/Zeno_Writeup.htm

You might mistake the Protege for your sisters car without close scrutiny. Another of the sleeper look school of thought.
GasSavers_davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

Mid-30s...on a Honda?

...but I consider fuel economy to be a personal best challenge, After being around for 8+ years, I was just tired of the same old crap.
Mid 30s on the freeway but only 20-22 around town. The drawback of performance carbs.

Mid thirties? On a Honda? Don't blame the carbs...blame the gas! Pump gas is crap! Am I wrong? I have a chemical modification to pump gas which allows you to ADVANCE the timing...to get back the performance "bad gas" takes away! Plus, my Corvette ...C5... runs great on 87 octane slop! Modified, of course!
Can we talk? Not here! I'm at [ whitevette at email dot com ] ...this is a spam-proof address. -Ted Hart
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome davens. So many CRX owners out there. Kind of makes me wish I'd bought the DX I found for $500, but I really need the Metro's back seats for my kids...
Old 05-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
hello

Sweet cars! Another Honda fan i see. I say the more the merrier. The protege mp3 was a very good handling car. Have you added any horsepower by any chance? I think the lower power output that is the only thing that really held that car from true greatness ..(which you could dispute of course) How does it ride anyway?
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

metro95, tomauto, have a quick look at the dates in this thread.

It's not current - the thread was "re-activated" by Ted Hart's spam posting.

(Caught me off guard too.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
neat...

well crap...I was wondering why there was a single post wonder. I did see the date, but it didn't register in my head.
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

Oooooppps... Next time I'll check the date.

« hey | FFI »