My new Eco Diesel - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #31
Registered Member

There are various sources across the Web, perhaps the most credible one is the EU site where tyre testing originates from:

Tyres labelling – saving on money and CO2

You learn something new every day don't you Charon, even at your age

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #32
Registered Member

Ah. I see. They are speaking only of rolling resistance, which forms a fairly small part of total resistance at any sort of usual road speed. This article goes into a bit more depth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance Isn't research educational?

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #33
Registered Member

Nice car you got there!
jurotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #34
Registered Member

Two interesting articles. Now I have the best eco tyres available, what next?! My car has a small skirt at the front, I hear extending this down to nearer the ground is a good way to improve economy through aerodynamics. My fear is that I'll bodge it, and make a mess. The car is completely stock, and being 2 years old, in fair condition. If I found a bigger air dam at the scrapyard from a suitable donor, I guess that may look better than trying to make one out of scrap plastic or sheeting. Can you think of any better eco mods?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #35
Registered Member

Ben, this might sound extreme, but have you considered Rally mods? As you may or may not know, Hyundai entered the i20 into the WRC and it's proving pretty good! You might be able to get some "rally replica" inspired diffusers/spoilers to make the car more aerodynamic and Sporty! I too have looked at the aero mods on the Clio Trophy with 220 bhp, but they would have to be ordered direct from Renault which could cost thousands...

Perhaps the cheapest way to get your car lower is a set of springs, a decent set will cost £200-£300 but then you'll have to pay to fit and have the wheels/camber/tracking reset. You may also ruin the soft ride, but the car would handle better too.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #36
Registered Member

I originally thought of lowering, but I hear I can kiss my 5 year warranty goodbye if I do! So that and a remap or chip box will be tested in 3 years...
As for rally mods no, never thought of that, ta! I will ask on the Hyundai forums. However, the rally i20 is much wider with the body kit, I d need to see if it fits - and can look like it fits! Again, I wonder if insurance hike and part costs may negate any fuel savings there!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #37
Registered Member

I did a quick Google search, there are some very sporty kits you can get, but they are probably 90% aesthetic and will probably have no positive aerodynamic affect anyway. Lowering your car won't avoid your warranty entirely, just parts associated with the suspension, so related bushes, bearings and such. I had my last car remapped with 35 extra bhp, had loads of warranty work done, even when I told the technicians it was modified (because I'm a nice honest chap) they were pretty open minded. As you say though, any modifications can be expensive, and you have to declare anything to your insurance company that affects the the way the car looks, sounds, performs, handles etc so any money saved on fuel would be wasted on other such expenses.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #38
Registered Member

Thanks. I checked out the WRC i20, and the parts are based on flared arches and wide wheels, so no front bumper swap. On the plus side, I came across a Hyundai i20 Fan Club on Facebook, based in India. These guys know how to jazz up their rides- none of the bland 6 colours and no mods as I've only seen on UK sites!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #39
Registered Member

So I just had my first oil/filter change at 18,444 miles. The handy thing with diesels is that they are very low maintenance, so no other parts or tune ups are required. Very impressed with Renault, given thier customer service over recent years has been far from perfect. Free hot drinks as you'd expect, but they also gave me a bus ticket into town so I could burn some time/money whilst the work was carried out. I also received a video message direct from the workshop of my car whilst it was being worked on, with the mechanic informing me of any advisory work to be carried out soon. When I went to collect the car, there was a list of 28 things they check on the car, luckily all were green, apart from I got 1 yellow box for front brake pads, which were 7mm, the legal limit being 5mm. Just an advisory, but handy to know. They had also upgraded my sat nav, so now I can put in the full post codes, and whilst driving home, I got a new beeping noise, looked across to see a speed camera logo in the corner of the screen, so now it tells me where all the cameras are hiding, a very handy feature. All of this was free as I got 2 years free servicing, the only thing I bought was a litre of 5W30 oil, handy for top ups. Next oil change is due at 36,000 miles. Pretty impressed so far.

Below is a pic I took on the forecourt, a nice selection of Renaultsports, including the new Clio Trophy with 220HP, and the Megane Trophy 265, the fastest front wheel drive car around the infamous Nurburgring. Was tempted to ask for a test drive but sadly I ran out of time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0712.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1855  

Old 10-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #40
Registered Member

Nice! My 30,000 mile 3rd Hyundai service came with a video message sent while we had popped into town, a walk around my car while it was in the air ! Advisory on rear tyres and rear wiper (both since replaced).

Tags
clio, dci, diesel, renault, turbo