New blue Yaris - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: New blue Yaris

Oh, also I inflated my tires to 44psi when I went out for lunch. I'm going to drop it down to 35psi when it starts to snow though.

PhotoDu.de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDu.de View Post
I didn't get a stick because I really don't know how to drive one. In high school (going on 6 years ago now) my friend kind of taught me how to drive stick in his Jeep Cherokee but I never got that good. It would have been a very annoying test drive.
I'm going to get a scangauge at some point soon. Is there any other OBDII tools that work in a similar way?
this is why manual transmissions are dying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDu.de View Post
Oh, also I inflated my tires to 44psi when I went out for lunch. I'm going to drop it down to 35psi when it starts to snow though.
You might not have to as I drove through snow in my FJ cruiser with the tires at 51PSI, slammed on the brakes going 30mph down a little hill and they stopped just fine. I think it was sleet (water+snow) when I tried this. Now had it been ice, well that'd be a different story but it always is when it comes to Ice.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Registered Member

Would a continuously variable transmission get better mileage then a stick?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

a CVT is a very interesting device. for most people (your average driver) it will (as many EPA ratings show it to have higher numbers) but it also doesn't allow you to EOC (engine off coasting) and it is very hard to DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) in one as you have to apply throttle to a certain degree. if you take your foot off of the pedal in a CVT, you start to decelerate.

the new ones may be different but I have had friends that had hondas with them a few years back and they absolutely hated them because you have to constantly be applying pressure to the accelerator.

I guess it also depends on how the computer runs the CVT maybe you could tune it to be in it's most efficient RPM band. most of us are stuck with what the factory has decided it will do anyway.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

A CVT or even a well-designed modern automatic will get better mileage for an average driver who is driving inefficiently.

In most vehicles, a driver trying to drive efficiently will do better with a manual transmission.

In all vehicles, a hypermiler will do better with a manual transmission than with an automatic, CVT, or automated manual.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #16

I rented an AT Yaris for a week in New England last year and managed an average 42 mpg for three tanks. The OP can use that as a goal to attempt to surpass.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I rented an AT Yaris for a week in New England last year and managed an average 42 mpg for three tanks. The OP can use that as a goal to attempt to surpass.
I know at some point I want to go on a transcontinental road trip in this car. It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get with E0 and driving efficiently.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Nice ! Post up some pictures. The Toyota website has the 5 door Yaris, 5 speed manual rated at 29/36, and the 4 speed auto at 29/35

RedAccord02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Registered Member

Here are all the picture that CarMax snapped of the car: http://img163.imageshack.us/g/image28.jpg/
I'll need to take some glammer photos later, but the suburbs aren't great for those.