New Corolla owner from Nashville - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Corolla owner from Nashville

Hi all. Back in 1988, I purchased my very first brand new car when I got a great deal on a past model year (1987) Chevrolet Nova—i.e. a rebadged Corolla. It was a golden brown with a light tan interior and generated (IIRC) a whopping 76HP. Great little car, but I got impatient with it after a couple years (too little power, and no air conditioning). But several times I crossed 50MPG (Imperial) in highway driving ... I've long had a little bit of a "thing" for fuel economy (i.e. most of my life I've calculated my mileage every fillup).

About 10 days ago I came full circle: I got a great deal on what may well be my last brand new car, a 2016 Toyota Corolla. And yes, it's brown (although not a golden brown) with essentially light tan interior (although Toyota dubs it "ivory"). As with the Nova, I'm curious to see if I can beat the EPA estimates without mods; things look promising so far. I've only got about 600 miles on it so far and filled up once (will need to fill up very shortly again). Lots of city driving, as I work in downtown Nashville. I'll post my first official result shortly.

TGallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

I do like brown paint jobs - shame the missus doesnt!
Good luck, this is my first Toyota, and i love it. The quality of it really stands out after the previous Hyundai....

Old 08-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome, they do say History repeats itself! There is another regular poster here with a Corolla, he gets quite good mileage.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

Welcome and good luck with the Corolla, in the positive sense not in the you'll need it sense. My Prius may be my last car unless the solar roof option returns somewhere down the line.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Just used SMS to add my first Fuelly fill-up. 32.1 MPG (U.S. gallons). Car computer estimated 33.1, so not too far off.

benlovesgoddess—for some reason, people knock the Corolla interior materials, but I don't know why. I think mine is excellent, and both my wife and I love the black and light tan colour as well as the overall interior aesthetics. The exterior of course is pretty conservative, but that's okay.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Same with the Prius mate - most people seem to criticise the piano black and porcelain white cabin. I love it!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

Gee... I thought I had answered you first? Something must have gone wrong?
I'm the regular Corolla owner. Bought it two years old. Was a lease vehicle. Got a good deal on it. If you look at my fuelly page. You can see how I've learned and gotten better at mileage. Ive set it up so anyone can learn from my mistakes. Right now around 40mpg. Average will take a while to come up. Two big things helped me. Non ethanol fuel. 22% better mileage. Using kinetic energy...coasting every chance I get.
I love my car. Whenever I see someone else with one. I honk and give them a thumbs up. They laugh. I laugh. Nobody buys a Corolla for their ego. They're a sensible car to buy.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks, 14. You're definitely right about the ego thing. My primary motivation was the Corolla reliability and good value. (I basically got my 2016 LE for KBB used book value, i.e. the dealer gave me the drive-off-the-lot depreciation. Plus got $800 trade-in for a wornout car that I could not have sold for that price privately.)

Given how urban a lot of my driving is, I don't expect to get ridiculously high numbers, but if I can eventually get in the high 30s, I'll be pretty happy.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

I've been trying to flash headlights or wave at Gen 4 owners - but i've only seen 4 others since March - they havent noticed! When i had a Mk1 Mini, we always flashed each other.
The Rover 75 i called The Jag, much to the wifes annoyance i used to wave at every real bemused Jaguar we passed! She started it though, as originally every time we saw an X type Jag, Rover 75 or S type Jag she'd shout out "theres a twin!".
I am hoping to have finally decoded the secret to the Prius pulse and glide method for best economy...
Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #10
LDB
Registered Member

You better be careful. If you flash in the wrong place you can get arrested.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote