New CRX HF Owner with Questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

New CRX HF Owner with Questions

Hi all. I just purchased this CRX HF, as I've wanted a CRX since High School.

I purchased it with the intent to modify it, but after talking with several people, can't bring my self to do so. Aside from what you can see of the condition above, the following picture seals the deal:

That mileage is correct and verified true via CarFax. It runs perfectly, in every way, shape and form.

Now for the problem: I'm not really into hypermiling. I used to be, when I had a 100 mile/day commute to work (2000 Mirage DE Manual, 40MPG+). Nowadays, I ride a motorcycle if I want mileage. I also only drive 20 miles/day for work, and not much more around town.

All that said, I'm looking for advice. Should I keep it and make it what I want, or pass it on to someone interested in it for what it was engineered for? That said, I don't even know what it is worth. It is too much of a niche vehicle to track in the normal fashion.

I appreciate that this is probably not a normal topic, but it is what I have!

CobaltFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

You purchased it to modify it as what exactly? But yeah if you really aren't interested in modifying it for mileage and just want to tune it to be a "race type vehicle', please, do everyone a favor and give it to someone who wants it for what it is and nothing more.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That thing is so clean, it'd be a shame to see it get modified...regardless of whether the modifications are race, rice, fuel economy, or otherwise. I can't say that I've ever seen one so clean, even when they were new.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
You purchased it to modify it as what exactly? But yeah if you really aren't interested in modifying it for mileage and just want to tune it to be a "race type vehicle', please, do everyone a favor and give it to someone who wants it for what it is and nothing more.
That (to keep it and modify it or sell it to an FE enthusiast) is basically what I'm asking, so I appreciate your vote.

However, patronizing someone who came to this forum to ask a question in good faith is in rather bad taste. I am an enthusiast, just not of Fuel Economy. I do, however, fully respect those that are, just as I respect the engineers that took great pains to make the HF what it is.

However, if it is not really worth anything to anyone, then I may as well keep it and do as I please with it.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That thing is so clean, it'd be a shame to see it get modified...regardless of whether the modifications are race, rice, fuel economy, or otherwise. I can't say that I've ever seen one so clean, even when they were new.
Agreed, hence the topic.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltFire View Post
However, if it is not really worth anything to anyone, then I may as well keep it and do as I please with it.
My vote, FWIW, is that this car goes to someone who will appreciate it for the FE engineering, and who will not modify it. It really looks to be in outstanding condition. These are getting harder to find in original condition.

It is certainly worth something, but what did you have in mind? I'm sure with the money you could get for it you could buy a CRX Si, which would be a much better candidate for mods and which might already have some of the changes you want to make.

Best of luck,
Bill
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Actually, I was more looking at an Integra Type-R. I'm not really budget constrained (within reason) and I would love to find an "R" in this kind of shape and keep it that way.

As far as price, I know what I have into it, but I was curious to get an idea of what it is worth without throwing that in, as it will (inevitably) effect the results.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrggeek View Post
My vote, FWIW, is that this car goes to someone who will appreciate it for the FE engineering, and who will not modify it. It really looks to be in outstanding condition. These are getting harder to find in original condition.

It is certainly worth something, but what did you have in mind? I'm sure with the money you could get for it you could buy a CRX Si, which would be a much better candidate for mods and which might already have some of the changes you want to make.

Best of luck,
Bill
I was thinking more along the lines of a CRX DX. There are too many things going against you in the HF in terms of performance that it'd be a waste of time and money to modify for such a thing. It's best to modify a vehicle that is most common as it doesn't have that "rarity" associated with it and consequently modifying it shouldn't feel like you're destroying something sacred or whatnot. If you could manage to put in a B18 or B20 (not really emissions safe) or an H22 (expensive), that thing would haul so much ***, though it'd require some fabrication and a lot of work...

CRX DX with B20 = holy crap.. That or you could put a corvette engine in it.. lol..

After the OP gets rid of his HF and picks up a DX (what I'm suggesting), I suggest he go to honda-tech or whatnot and ask about performance upgrades to his car. A simple upgrade would be swapping in another D series engine like a D16Z6 but if you wanted real performance, you'll need some fabrication done.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

Not as much fabrication or work as you may think, as it has been done way too often.

The DX or STD models actually take more work than the HF or Si, which are just about identical in everything but brakes mechanically.

My modifications are/were going to be more sedate, in reality. However, they were certainly not in the FE state of mind.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Just thought I would throw this link in for everyone to look at:

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/CRX%20Stock/

That has interior shots as well.