New CRX HF Owner with Questions - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltFire View Post
Not as much fabrication or work as you may think, as it has been done way too often.

The DX or STD models actually take more work than the HF or Si, which are just about identical in everything but brakes mechanically.

My modifications are/were going to be more sedate, in reality. However, they were certainly not in the FE state of mind.
If you were going to do just intake and exhaust, then you'd be wasting your time.. I mean you could swap heads for one of an Si but if you already have an Si, then to get anything more out of it, you'd need to do some serious work. A lot of modifications aside from another engine, a turbo, transmission swap, or some sort of hybrid (engine parts from various engines) are a major waste of time and money. If you want real gains, it only makes sense to do something that is actually substantial, not just in cost.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

Don't even think about modifying it
you could probably find another one for that. And i'll help you find one

I'll buy it. Where you at.

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
As far as price, I know what I have into it, but I was curious to get an idea of what it is worth without throwing that in, as it will (inevitably) effect the results.
It's not a direct comparison, but here is a nice Si on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...58800218#v4-36

The current bid is $3550 and there's still a day left.

If you hold onto it awhile longer until gas gets back up to $4/gal you should have no trouble selling it for at least $3k if it runs as good as it looks.
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
If you were going to do just intake and exhaust, then you'd be wasting your time.. I mean you could swap heads for one of an Si but if you already have an Si, then to get anything more out of it, you'd need to do some serious work. A lot of modifications aside from another engine, a turbo, transmission swap, or some sort of hybrid (engine parts from various engines) are a major waste of time and money. If you want real gains, it only makes sense to do something that is actually substantial, not just in cost.
Very true. I was thinking more along the lines of a JDM D15B engine/transmission swap (130HP, nothing modified on the car) and storing the HF parts for later. I considered a B16B/B18CR swap, but that just seems wasteful on anything but a trashed car that is being revived.

I am also seriously considering a D15Z1 (Civic VX) engine swap to give myself a bit more power and even more fuel mileage.
CobaltFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Don't even think about modifying it
you could probably find another one for that. And i'll help you find one

I'll buy it. Where you at.
Fort Worth, TX. Car has been in the Metroplex it's whole life; I have the delivery packet from the dealer!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
Lean Burn Mode

Man that thing is clean!!!! I vote keep it stock.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
That (to keep it and modify it or sell it to an FE enthusiast) is basically what I'm asking, so I appreciate your vote.

<snip>

However, if it is not really worth anything to anyone, then I may as well keep it and do as I please with it.
My vote, FWIW, is keep it stock....BUT....it's YOUR car! Do with it as YOU see fit! If modifying it will give you pleasure, go for it!

I used to ride a bike also, mostly for the FE, but for a little fun as well. I had friends I rode with who told me that FE was NOT the reason to ride...I nodded my head and and said "yaa yaa", and continued to enjoy the 50-60 mpg.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
My vote, FWIW, is keep it stock....BUT....it's YOUR car! Do with it as YOU see fit! If modifying it will give you pleasure, go for it!

I used to ride a bike also, mostly for the FE, but for a little fun as well. I had friends I rode with who told me that FE was NOT the reason to ride...I nodded my head and and said "yaa yaa", and continued to enjoy the 50-60 mpg.
Very much so regarding the bike FE! I commuted on a Ninja 250 jetted for FE for a while. 70MPG while goofing off was great!

BTW, I love the avatar. Miyazaki is one of my wife and I's favorites (she is from Japan and grew up with him).
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Very much so regarding the bike FE! I commuted on a Ninja 250 jetted for FE for a while. 70MPG while goofing off was great!

BTW, I love the avatar. Miyazaki is one of my wife and I's favorites (she is from Japan and grew up with him).
My best FE was my '66 Honda 90...about 75 mpg. Next was my '72 Triumph 650 TR6R (single carb...would sometimes stick like a Toyota) which got about 60 mpg...my best was about 70 mpg once.

One of the first movies I saw after getting Netflix was "My Neighbor Totoro"...fell in love with that film...have way too many cats, so the Catbus just seemed natural...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
One of the first movies I saw after getting Netflix was "My Neighbor Totoro"...fell in love with that film...have way too many cats, so the Catbus just seemed natural...
I use a Catbus ringtone on my cell phone.

Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote