New daily, 94 Civic VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

New daily, 94 Civic VX

Hello all!
I have purchased my new daily driver a few days ago and i want to squeeze the most FE out of it as possible. That is what led me to this site. Its a 94 Honda Civic VX. I bought it with 168,000 miles. It came with AEM ram air intake(barely hanging onto the TB), 4-2-1 headers, Im assuming it has a high flow cat, Aftermarket exhaust(looks pretty shoddy). One piece headlights look like they were wired in by a 5 year old, custom hood vent that was rattle canned black along with the roof and tail gate. So i definitely have my work cut out for me. Ive already Seafoamed it and am running my first tank of gas through it. Im looking forward to picking everyones brains and hope Im able to help out a little too.

XxDrUnKnMuNkxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Wow. You're quite brave. Did you get a good deal? I wouldn't touch a riced out Civic (to that extent) with a ten foot pole. Why would a ricer even begin to pretend to make a VX fast?

I'm sure you know that the VX performs the best in stock form. The good news is that you can probably sell all that aftermarket stuff for more than it's going to cost you to get new stock stuff. We're all in your debt for saving a VX.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
good to see you are looking to de-rice a civic. step 1 remove hood scoop. its probably eating a mpg or two... i hope you got a good deal on that car.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome to the site.

It is good to read that a Civic is getting de-riced, there are just so many of those good cars ruined by people who think F & F is cool.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Wow. You're quite brave. Did you get a good deal? I wouldn't touch a riced out Civic (to that extent) with a ten foot pole. Why would a ricer even begin to pretend to make a VX fast?

I'm sure you know that the VX performs the best in stock form. The good news is that you can probably sell all that aftermarket stuff for more than it's going to cost you to get new stock stuff. We're all in your debt for saving a VX.
Wow that's kinda scary, you seem pretty prevalent on this site and seem to know what your doing and you still wouldn't touch this car with a ten foot pole? Do the mods on the car really affect MPG in that much of a negative way?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
MPG would be the least of my concern with a riced car. I was just talking about all the horrible surprises you find when people get in there and start modifying things; particularly with wiring. But I didn't mean to scare you!

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #7

You mentioned wiring that looked like it was done by a 5 year old. What else might that 5 year old have gotten his hands on? Brakes? Suspension? Steering? Thats why most of us steer away from riced VXs, or any riced Honda for that matter, the kids that rice them in the first place generally have the skills of a 5 year old. That being said, I too applaud your efforts, just be careful.
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Yea, i kinda jumped into this head first, but it runs well other than a bouncing idle while rolling to a stop(which i will troubleshoot using this site). the body is decent and it has the stock motor(other than bolt-ons) and stock ecu. Hopefully there's not too many surprises.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
bad idle sounds like a 1 or more of 14 possibilities all centered around idle and polution controlling devices. do not touch the idle screw. start by tightening the fitv then clean the iacv. doing a search on this site or honda-tech.com might help in finding out how to do those things if you dont know how already.