New guy, Old car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

New guy, Old car

Hello all.

I've been looking about the webs, searching for tips and tricks to help me out with my old Torino. It's a 1971 with a 302 ci, 3 speed auto. I've been driving it since I rebuilt it in 09'.

Things I've already done.

Switched over to electric fan and fuel pump. No power-steering, no AC. The belt drives the alternator and water pump. No frills.

Bottom end is bored 30 over. Ran out of money about that time, and the wife said make it run or sell it. So, I put it back together with stock heads and valve-train. Lumpiest cam I could manage with stock heads, and a 4 bbl.

It ran great, but didn't start improving mileage wise till I got about 2000 miles on the rebuild. Not real sure what my mileage is at the moment, as I lost my speedo/odo shortly after the rebuild. It has a 13 gallon tank and I fill it up about every week and a half. My commute is about 16 miles 6 days a week.

I also drive a Ural motorcycle.

I've been looking into the highly contested fringe stuff like HHO and HCS systems. I will have Antique Auto tags by the end of the month, and I will never need to pass a state inspection again. Anybody ever tried HHO or HCS on a pre-emissions small block V8? I don't have much of an expectation to increase mileage or anything like that, but if it runs smoother and has a bit more pep I can't see how it wouldn't be worth it. After the rebuild, I have loads of space in the engine well. Dry-cell battery in the trunk, no fluid jugs. Just a nearly blank canvas.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Boba

bobaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi Boba, welcome. Interesting project you have there. A 3 speed seems crazy with today's gearboxes, if only you could fit a modern euro derived 9 speed, I bet your mileage would triple!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

I hear ya. I modified the transmission with a shift kit, and it still doesn't leave 2nd gear till nearly 50mph.

We are about to get a taste of that 9 speed over here with some new Jeep product. I was fairly excited about it until I saw the price tag. It boasts some pretty high numbers in economy, but I'll believe it when I see it. It is still an SUV after all.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes I've noticed a lot of euro-tech ending up on Us cars since the bailout. I think the new Jeeps are Fiat based, so should get pretty good economy. I think the higher gears will labour the engine less, and might give better economy on the Autobahn at 160 MPH, but in reality, I doubt they give much better mileage! Most of the small economical cars here still have 5 or 6 gears.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

I was going to ask if you guys in the states have LPG kits? Sometimes called autogas, can be fitted to gas powered engines. The kits were popular here in the 90's when fuel prices started rising and cost about £1000 to fit. LPG per litre costs about half that of regular petrol so the savings are huge over time. Just thought I'd mention it.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Yea, when I was in high school, I remember a group of ranchers getting on the lpg bandwagon. Everything was fine, until we watched one of their kids' trucks burn to the ground in the school parking lot.

Then a couple of fleet vehicles burned down. The LPG conversion kits went unpopular soon after. I'm sure they are safer now.

Side note, any reason that I cannot access this forum on my phone? I try to log in, and it tells me "account not activated".
Old 06-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaganoosh View Post
Yea, when I was in high school, I remember a group of ranchers getting on the lpg bandwagon. Everything was fine, until we watched one of their kids' trucks burn to the ground in the school parking lot.

Then a couple of fleet vehicles burned down. The LPG conversion kits went unpopular soon after. I'm sure they are safer now.

Side note, any reason that I cannot access this forum on my phone? I try to log in, and it tells me "account not activated".
Looks like you didn't click the link to verify your account. I'll email it to you again momentarily.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks
Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

welcome

I'm new to this as well, but will pass on a welcome.

Torino sounds bloody cool mate. Add some pic's.

No idea about hho or hcs - hope you can educate me.

You could always lose the engine completely and go electric with all that space of course. start stock-piling D-cells!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4rWpKeUDT4

How sensitive is the 305 to carb for economy? My brother in laws 454SS seemed to use a garden hose, rather than jets.

thomas970 is offline   Reply With Quote