New Here. Excited about my MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Here. Excited about my MPG

Hi guys. I'm new here. I drive an '04 Dodge Durango (5.7L Hemi). I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there that drives a similar make/model. I got back from Iraq a few months ago and began using a new additive. I neglected to get a good baseling before I started. Now I'm getting 18-19mpg in town and 24-25mpg on the highway. If my memory serves me right I was getting around 13-14 in town and 19ish on the highway before.

I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there with a similar make/model to compare notes with. I'm super excited about my current mpg!

thanks guys.

magua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

The only thing I can suggest is inflating your tires to sidewall PSI with Nitrogen. You can get the nitrogen for free from Costco. You want the insides of your tires to be as dry as possible which isn't the case with most air compressors you see where there is accumulated water in the tank going into your tires. I found a 3mpg boost on my truck when I inflated them from the manufacturer recommended 30 to the sidewall of 51psi. Just keep in mind that handling characteristics may change so drive cautiously.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I think we do have one Durango driver.

I disagree about the nitrogen but I agree about the inflation. Air is already 78% nitrogen to begin with, and if (as nitrogen proponents say) nitrogen is the only part of air that doesn't seep through the tire, then after you top off the tire a few times there should be 95% nitrogen in there anyway. However, if you can get it for free then go ahead...it sure won't hurt anything.

The important part about that is the increased inflation. Chances are you'll never notice any loss in ride quality or traction, and in fact it will probably handle better. However, try to notice how braking, accelerating, and turning feel different to make sure it's safe, and after a few thousand miles try to notice if it's affecting the way your tires wear. Assuming you don't have any severe loss with those, inflating to the maximum rated pressure will probably provide a decent increase in fuel economy.

Of course there's strategies like not braking (for example, instead of powering up to a red light and then braking, roll up to it slowly and let it turn green before you stop) and not idling...and plenty of other strategies you can read about here by browsing the site.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I think we do have one Durango driver.

I disagree about the nitrogen but I agree about the inflation. Air is already 78% nitrogen to begin with, and if (as nitrogen proponents say) nitrogen is the only part of air that doesn't seep through the tire, then after you top off the tire a few times there should be 95% nitrogen in there anyway. However, if you can get it for free then go ahead...it sure won't hurt anything.

The important part about that is the increased inflation. Chances are you'll never notice any loss in ride quality or traction, and in fact it will probably handle better. However, try to notice how braking, accelerating, and turning feel different to make sure it's safe, and after a few thousand miles try to notice if it's affecting the way your tires wear. Assuming you don't have any severe loss with those, inflating to the maximum rated pressure will probably provide a decent increase in fuel economy.

Of course there's strategies like not braking (for example, instead of powering up to a red light and then braking, roll up to it slowly and let it turn green before you stop) and not idling...and plenty of other strategies you can read about here by browsing the site.
I see in your gas log you haven't been driving your Rabbit, why is that? By the looks of it, your guzzling pickup has been getting all the attention with you driving it in.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The Rabbit is a lease (Yes, I'm aware of the math; it was the right decision nonetheless). I only have 15,000 miles per year. I've parked it for the winter and gotten a cheaper insurance plan.

As much as I love driving my truck, I really miss driving the Rabbit. I've got to run the numbers and figure out when to resume regular insurance and start driving it again.