New here, from Va. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

New here, from Va.

I just today purchased a Honda Civic VX with only 92,000 miles and in mint condition(and mint in color haha). MPG is only at around 40mpg, but I hope to be able to boost that, any tips appreciated. I plan to stick around, what I see so far is great and looks like I could really learn a thing or two here. I drive about 100-150 miles a day for work so a high mpg car is a must, ive gone from a GMC Yukon to a 4dr Civic to this 2dr hatchback, so ive certainly converted to the high mpg world and I think i'll love it.

Nick

GasSavers_NickF829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome Nick. Good to see new faces at GS. Well, you bought the right car. You should find any help you need here with no trouble. One of the most popular cars on the site.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to Gas Saver's

If you have acquired a VX, you've made a good move in the right direction. If you check out the Garage, a number of the high mileage drivers are VX's. If your only getting 40mpg, then their is probably something amiss in the car. From what I've read here, you should be able to pull about 50mpg, without doing anything radical and driving at 80 mph.

If your getting about 40mpg, I would not be at all surprised if your Oxygen sensor is sour. You can use a DVM to monitor it, while you drive. If it's working, correctly, you should be able to see the car go into lean burn, which I doubt that it's doing, currently.

Great Choice of Vehicle.

You should also check out some of the aerodynamic modifications which people are doing. Paricularly, check out the changes on the 108mpg car which is posted.

Good Luck, and Welcome

Gary Palmer
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Another VXer. Welcome!

In good running condition, those cars can be stealthy super MPG machines.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
*shrug*

Welcome welcome. Poke around the forum for info on the superMID, best thing for mileage.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Welcome to Gas Saver's

If you have acquired a VX, you've made a good move in the right direction. If you check out the Garage, a number of the high mileage drivers are VX's. If your only getting 40mpg, then their is probably something amiss in the car. From what I've read here, you should be able to pull about 50mpg, without doing anything radical and driving at 80 mph.

If your getting about 40mpg, I would not be at all surprised if your Oxygen sensor is sour. You can use a DVM to monitor it, while you drive. If it's working, correctly, you should be able to see the car go into lean burn, which I doubt that it's doing, currently.

Great Choice of Vehicle.

You should also check out some of the aerodynamic modifications which people are doing. Paricularly, check out the changes on the 108mpg car which is posted.

Good Luck, and Welcome

Gary Palmer
what is a DVM? Would a o2 sensor trip a check engine light?

Thanks for the welcome, I definately have been checking out the site, and can't wait to start upping my mileage
GasSavers_NickF829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickF829
what is a DVM? Would a o2 sensor trip a check engine light?

Thanks for the welcome, I definately have been checking out the site, and can't wait to start upping my mileage

DVM = Digital Volt Meter and yes a bad or malfuctioning o2 sensor would trip a cel.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Digital Volt Meter. Not necessarily. My understanding is O2 sensors can degrade in performance somewhat before ultimately tripping the engine light.

Have you checked this thread? Look for Krousdb's technical remarks & advice - he just sold his VX (to another GS member), and was quite skilled at wringing great FE out of it.

Picking up my VX on Sunday! Pics!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
*shrug*

O2s can get lazy before ultimately quitting, though I'm not sure how often it happens.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yukon to a Honda VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickF829
I drive about 100-150 miles a day for work so a high mpg car is a must, ive gone from a GMC Yukon to a 4dr Civic to this 2dr hatchback, so ive certainly converted to the high mpg world and I think i'll love it.

Nick
It is nice to have you here. You will learn much about how to get better mileage. I am pleased to see someone go from a GMC YUKON, to a CIVIC VX. I wish many more would do the same, this earth would be better off.

GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote