New here, got here from google images actually lol - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

New here, got here from google images actually lol

When searching for "IAT sensor" I ran across someone trying the ole' IAT sensor trick on their d15b7 (Honda).

anyways, my name is Dan, thought I'd stop in and post since I am looking to get better MPG in my car (isn't everyone?) Here's the specs:

1995 Nissan Sentra GXE
ga16de engine (1.6 DOHC)
4 speed auto (boo)
21,000 miles
~25 mpg as of now

I swapped out my crappy eGay filter for a new k&n and have tried to drive like a grandma for the past tank, i'm at 190 miles right now so I haven't been able to see if there is any difference with MPG (I'm assuming so).

My question is, what can I do to increase my MPG? I drive 15 miles to school everyday, to work and to my girlfriend's and better MPG would be nice. As soon as I bought the car, I bought a MAF adapter/filter, changed my oil/filter, and new spark plugs and wires. I also ran some fuel injector cleaner through 2 tanks of gas.

I honestly think I should be getting much more than 25 mpg (they're rated at 27-37 I do believe)... Now, there are 3 things that I think are affecting my MPG:

1) Driving habits
2) Steep hills I have to climb (stupid PA)
3) IAT sensor (I don't have a place to put it, so I have it resting on the filter)

Anyone that can help me out, thanks
pics of the ride:

And I also have a 1993 honda civic EX with a blown tranny... still trying to decide what to do with that.

Sorry for the long post lol

GasSavers_Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Driving on E

Welcome Danno.

Welcome Danno.

As for your sentra, you have an interesting situation. Since your car has so few miles some of the routine things (new oil filter, etc.) won't make much of a difference.

Since your commute is so short (15 miles) there are a few things you can do:
  • Get an engine block heater - this is assuming you leave approximately the same time every day. It will make your engine run warmer faster, which is much more efficient. Run it on a timer and you'll barely notice it is there.
  • Get a hotter thermostat - 192degree thermostat will help accomplish the same as above.
  • tire pressure - keep it up to the maximum PSI. check regularly.
  • LRR tires - if you are getting new tires soon, spend some extra money and get LRR (Low rolling resistance) tires.

More ideas to come.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
*shrug*

Quote:eGay No need to be a

Quote:
eGay
No need to be a meany,

Quote:
3) IAT sensor (I don't have a place to put it, so I have it resting on the filter)
Why not!?!?

Quote:
And I also have a 1993 honda civic EX with a blown tranny... still trying to decide what to do with that.
I'll buy it off you.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Re: Quote:eGay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Welcome Danno.

As for your sentra, you have an interesting situation. Since your car has so few miles some of the routine things (new oil filter, etc.) won't make much of a difference.

Since your commute is so short (15 miles) there are a few things you can do:
  • Get an engine block heater - this is assuming you leave approximately the same time every day. It will make your engine run warmer faster, which is much more efficient. Run it on a timer and you'll barely notice it is there.
  • Get a hotter thermostat - 192degree thermostat will help accomplish the same as above.
  • tire pressure - keep it up to the maximum PSI. check regularly.
  • LRR tires - if you are getting new tires soon, spend some extra money and get LRR (Low rolling resistance) tires.

More ideas to come.
Hmm... thanks for the ideas, i'll keep those in mind! Engine block heater... I've never even heard of one of those! cool though

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
eGay
No need to be a meany,

Quote:
Why not!?!?

Quote:
I'll buy it off you.
Just making a joke with the eGay :P No offense if you're homosexual.

There was a spot in the air filter box for the IAT sensor, but now that htere is the just the MAF sensor and filter, theres nothing. I'm currently making a pipe (maybe 4" at most) to have inbetween the filter and adapter and have the sensor plug in there... and also if you'd buy it off of me that would be great haha... I was thinking either that or im parting out the engine/tranny and getting a d15 for some mad tyte MPG powa...

Also, what do you guys know about MPG meters? My mom has one in her minivan, its digital... I'd like to know how they work and if I could get one. That'd be awesome.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
*shrug*

Quote:and also if you'd buy

Quote:
and also if you'd buy it off of me that would be great Laughing out loud haha... I was thinking either that or im parting out the engine/tranny and getting a d15 for some mad tyte MPG powa...
How much you want for it?

Quote:
Also, what do you guys know about MPG meters? My mom has one in her minivan, its digital... I'd like to know how they work and if I could get one. That'd be awesome.
Just recently have become for sale for non obd2 people, check out the diy section and supermid.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Driving on E

If you decide to part out

If you decide to part out the engine/tranny/etc. for a MPG build, let me know and I'll be able to help. I won't be able to physically help, but I'll be able to offer consulting on the swap.

SVOBoy is right, there is now a MPG display available for obd1 and obd0 people called SuperMID M1. THe downside is that it's made in Japan and is in liters and kilometers. I really don't mind that, but some will. The good part is that Yoshi (A member of this forum) is the designer of the SuperMID.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hot air intake / radiator

Hot air intake / radiator block will help warm you up on a short trip.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

Crap... Drove like a

Crap... Drove like a grandma, did everything I could and got 25.3 MPG. WTF, it shouldn't be this low
Old 03-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Re: Crap... Drove like a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Crap... Drove like a grandma, did everything I could and got 25.3 MPG. WTF, it shouldn't be this low
Short trips are killers for economy, since the car isn't at normal operating temp most of the trip, if at all. This creates an "open-loop" situation where more fuel is used to heat-up the catalytic converter and attempt to reduce emissions. I'd recommend the engine block heater -- there are a few types, the "hard way", which is what I did -- removed the freeze plug from the block and instal an OEM-style unit. Another type goes into the dipstick, I believe. Basically it plugs into the wall and heats up the block like a stove element. Also, reduce idle time as much as possible. Hopefully when summer hits, it will improve...

RH77
Old 03-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yeah, I know.. but this is

Yeah, I know.. but this is going to school and back, and running to pittsburgh (hour drive) going 60-70 mph, keeping the RPM's low... not much driving short-distance, except to work and back (.4 miles) and thats 6x a week... and other than that, I would drive to my girlfriends or school (both 15 miles) so who knows...

also I use 87 octane. Can that be affecting it greatly? And is the difference that significant that I should switch?

I think I'm going to use this block heater thing.
Still doesn't explain why my car is sooo slow compared to my buddy's xe with same engine and tranny...