New in Fort Collins CO - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

New in Fort Collins CO

Hi all.

New here. Not even sure how I ended up at this site when I was surfing around for some mileage information, but I'm glad I found it. I haven't paid too much attention to my mileage until I started a 65 mile each direction commute. My '00 Toyota 4Runner is quickly becoming something I like less and less as I have to fill up once every two days. I have systematically gotten rid of everything that was a fuel pig. I had multiple toys before I moved to Fort Collins. I have sold off my '71 Plymouth Duster, my '68 GTO, and my '71 LeMans. The '85 Grand National is on the way out. While it was a nice change to have a 6 cylinder muscle car, it just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm in process of selling off or trading the Grand National for a gas sipper, and the 4Runner is getting sold for a late '80's/early 90's Toyota pickup with a 22RE engine. Years ago I had a nice '89 4Runner with that 22RE. What an amazing engine. I will only have 4 cylinder engines from now on.

Well hope to talk to you all soon. Thanks in advance for all the answers and advice I am sure I will be asking for soon.

Take care.
Steven

GasSavers_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Driving on E

hi steven... glad to have you here. There are plenty of us in the moutains. I'm in Salt Lake City myself.

Anyway, there are a few other truck owners here. Hopefully they'll have a few bits of experience to share.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome Steven. I had an '86 4Runner with the 4 cylinder engine once. I don't remember it doing any better than low 20s. I also had a '96 Nissan 2wd pickup with a 4 cylinder and it got 21-23 mpg which I thought sucked, though it did have a lumber rack and was generally pretty loaded down.

What kind of mpg did you get in your '89 4Runner?

My buddy has an '85 toyota 4x4 with the 2LT diesel, and he only gets about 24 mpg. It seems these little truck and engines should be able to do better when a full size truck can get 20+ mpg. Probably with skinny tires and a few aero mods they can. Anyway, good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Welcome Steven -

It's great that you found GasSavers now. If you want to switch to a new car, you can take your time and pick either a brand new gas sipper or a used car that has been proven to be an MPG champ (with or without some mods).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome to the site!

You're going to trade away your Grand National for an econobox?! Those Buicks are sweet cars!
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Supporting Member

welcome to the site