New in Ohio - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

New in Ohio

After lurking here for about a month I finally created an account and thought I'd introduce myself.

Hi! I'm JustaDriver and I'm now an ecodriver.

I first became aware of hypermiling a few months ago through an article in Readers Digest. I have to say that after reading that article, I had a pretty bad opinion of hypermilers - the methods highlighted in that article were so extreme I couldn't imagine why anyone would risk themselves and others driving that way to save a few bucks on gas.

Then I read another article somewhere on the internet that linked to ecomodder.com's 100 hypermiling / ecodriving tips, which had a link to this site. I'm glad I followed those links, because most of the posts here are much more moderate and rational that that first article and advocate responsible driving. As one post put it, you were more "ecodrivers" than "hypermilers" because there's nothing hyper about the way you drive. Now, that's something I can agree with, so I decided to see what I could do to save on gas.

Since I'm an old fogey of 44 with a wife and kids and almost no mechanical ability I decided to stick with the nut behind the wheel rather than any vehicle mods. Before adjustment, I thought my ancient Taurus was doing OK if I got somewhere close to 20mpg. A few minor adjustments later, and I've seen a 20% improvement, and hope to achieve more.

Thanks everone for this great site!

JustaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hey! Welcome! Sounds crazy, but do look into modifying your car. I can't tell you how much more gas we've saved by doing so. Just the little things add up over time..

Have a great day!
Mr Pinkies ZX5 is offline   Reply With Quote