New member 2002 Ford Focus - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #11

Yesterday: 5 mile segment: DWL .6-.7 gph @ 50 mph 67-71 mpg ...
This is my second Focus . The first was a sedan with a sohc 2.0 liter auto. I really never had any problems with it (that *I* didn't create )
Very under rated as a drivers car . Handles well adequate hp/tq - obvious FE potential . The early Foci had fuel pump issues and rear wheel bearing issues and a battrey cable problem . All covered under recalls . A few fit and finish complaints (hey it's an entry level car in the US and the price is low ) . **eta : Ooops forgot about the DPFE sensor (EGR system module on the firewall) my 2000 sedan never had a problem with this - quite a few did though . **
The 2005+ cars are better in all regards . Are you looking new or used?

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

I think my car is great! I bought it brand new and have right at 94k miles on it. as stated above i got the hatchback. I am fairly easy on the car (still have the factory brakes), the only repairs I have done were covered under my waranty and include: ignition key would not turn, they replaced the switch in the dash, now I can start it and pull my key out of the ignition which is handy sometimes and very cool. The clutch master cylinder went out and I brought it to the dealer, they replaced the thermastat for some reason, and what do you know it did not fix the problem; after they replaced the correct part I was up and running again. I replaced the link from the strut to the sway bar because it was making noise, not necessary, but I like a quiet car. The thermastat that they put in started to leak and they had to replace that (they=ford). Otherwise, tires, oil, gas and filters are all that it has needed. Ground clearance is good for a econo car, it can drive over most curbs, which is handy in some instances. And it will off road fairly well (it has been my main hunting vehical for 4 years now, and only got it stuck twice). For performance, it ran a 21.5+/- in the quarter with me driving, so could be a little beter. I can't report how well the gas milage is, but delivering pizzas (harsh driving) it never went below 31, so that is good. I don't know if I can believe 67mpg, but 40mpg over a tank full seems doable with the right driving skills.(I have a lot to learn)

After saying all that I did go today and look at one of the new taurus X station wagons today and really like those, more car than I need, but this small car is getting a little cramped on long trips.

lancek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #13

50's are doable through a tank - check my gaslog. 60's and 70's are more than possible with a good driver and the right techniques.67 is from a 5 mile segemnt - trust me the potential is there in spades . Last week on the way to work my' in town' segment of 3.4 miles from a cold start was stellar @ 108.4 . No it didn't run for 3.2 of those miles , but who's counting .

Let's just agree that the Focus is a very decent & under rated car that can be picked up inexpensively and driven stock or modified ,as the aftermarket is definitely there for it . Unfortunate that Ford axed the hatchback after 2007 - get em whilst you can !

fwiw COZX2 has a Zetec that is Waaaay up there in FE 90+ mpg tanks and a ZX2 has the same drivetrain as the Focus (of the same vintage)
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

MnFocus: I am, as I always do, looking for a wrecker. A lot of Focuses (??) go through the auction that I deal with, so I should be able to have a nice selection as to color and options. I assume that parts should be readily available from various online vendors. I guess that I will follow your advice and try to limit my search to 2005 cars. I hope that I get lucky with scoring a five speed. I will check out what these cars bluebook for, and what they are currently selling for. I am usually able to get my cars for 50% to 25% of the bluebook value. This is AFTER they are fixed up.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #15

As long as you are looking for an 05+ and it's for the sweetie ,look for side curtain airbag/ABS/traction controlled models (SES *normally* depending on options selected at purchase) . Most of those SES's will also have upgraded leather seating .iirc The early 2.3 Duratec manual transaxles came equipped with a 3.42 final drive vs 3.82 for all others . If you are hunting down that last bit of FE .
I hope you get the 5 speed model too! Luck to ya!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #16
Registered Member

I will agree that the focus is a great car; and I will try my hardest to get 50mpg! So did you actually shut the engine off while driving? I haven't done this, but doesn't your power stearing stop working? I tried DWL on the way home from work and had a little better luck, I had a min speed set at 45mph and had to get into the gas a couple times to keep my speed up, but I got in some great coasts, and going to work is more down than up so I should really save there! Have you done any mods to your focus for fuel econo or comfort?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #17

Yes I FAS(Forced Auto Stop) as much as possible - generally I follow the terrain guidelines that you'd use for coasting with the engine on . Often though my momentum has been sufficient to make uphills an opportunity also. Power steering will go away - but it still steers. Brakes - vac assist will go away - but it still has brakes . read the bold print.
*Please* get proficient with the other basic techniques *before* using FAS!! When you do decide to FAS - practice in an environment that is safe before you head into traffic . I say this as I want you to know what your car does and how it reacts to driver input .It is a simple easy way to get Great FE * BUT* A mistake can cause severe reprocussions to more than *just* you and *your* car . just sayin ...

mods to my car
Comfort:
learn to drive it- goes the furthest.I'm still learning . With 94k you should have this down ...
FRPP lowering springs/dampers.About 1 1/2 " lower than stock.
35% window tint (keeps it cooler so less a/c is used)
Tunes!! it uses power but keeps me alert at 3:30 a.m.

econo :
0w20 synthetic oil
4 wheel alignment (annually)
FRPP catback-truly unnecessary-it flows.sound good. at low idle speeds it sounds bada$$.whether or not it is an econo mod matters not to me.I *think* it helps!
Grille block - cost per dollar this has been the best.I have a sum total of $3.82 invested.paid for itself 6 gallons into 1st tank.
60+ psi tire pressure.It's more than 60 but less than 80.Thats all I'll say. Seriously - diminishing returns over 55-60 anyway .
Otherwise its "as new" stock .heh heh heh .

Keep your efforts up ,and *do* take care, you'll achieve some outstanding FE numbers soon. A few simple mods and a Lot of technique is all you need.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Registered Member

yeah after 94k i feel i can drive it well, but this new style of diving makes things interesting.