New Member - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just found this site yesterday and I think it's great. I have a 2003 Corolla with an automatic and my commute to work is 55 miles one way, mixed highway and stop and go. I've average about 38 mpg so I cant wait to see how much better I can get.

sl2w0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Supporting Member

make a garagre entry and start a gaslog

Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
ELF
Registered Member

Welcome, 110 miles a day is a lot of driving. with some tips from GS you should be able to get over 40 mpg in your corolla pretty easy.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
do you take a tax deduction for your mileage? in most states 50 miles is seen as being an unreasonable distance to drive to work, so you can take the standard deduction per mile for mileage, now I'm not saying that driving great distances to work is anything that I would want to suport at all, but I know that I did it for a number of years and it really helped to knock my taxable income down.

Over the years to make cars ride softer and be able to corner at higher speeds they have made wider and wider tires standard, check on what the next narrower size might be next time you need to replace the tires you have, then pump them up to the max side wall presure, between those two changes you should see a noticeable increase in mileage.
A newer Corolla like you have is already designed pretty well, and if taken care of should continue to operate at it's peek, even with that doing a tune up never seems to hurt, synthetic fluids, like with an automatic, synthetic tranny fluid might make a big differince.
it sounds like you have a good rout that alows you to drive at lower speeds as it is, but getting a scangauge should help give you some solid information on how you drive affects your milage.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

I've never checked on the tax deduction. I live in Maryland which I know has one of the highest commute times in the country, but i've never heard of anyone else taking a deduction, and Turbotax never asked me, but I'll check. I just put new tires on the car a week ago, i didn't know about this website at the time, but i did increase the tire pressure. Is higher tire pressure going to affect the tread wear a lot?
sl2w0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2w0 View Post
Is higher tire pressure going to affect the tread wear a lot?
If anything it will improve it.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
if you go above the max side wall presure then it might increase the tred wear a bit in the center of the tire, but pumping them up tot he max side wall presure should be fine.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote