New Member - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO

Pictures > Words, lol. I took a picture to help visualize what I typed.

The Valve Stem Seals can be replaced without taking the motor out of the car. If you have good mechanical confidence then it's cheap and easy. If you have to take it in to get done it can be expensive.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX

pics from my car

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
the cable is under the left lower bolt in your last pic. My finger is pushing the metal tab that the cable goes through to the right in the picture I took.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Haha!! I feel like a newborn that has just discovered his opposable thumb ... or something. I would have NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS ever figured that out. I see why it got stuck. It's kind of caked with sand in there. Any suggestions on how I can clean it? I could just spray WD40 in there, but it seems like sand and grit is causing it to get stuck. easy enough to just move it out of the way, too, tho. Thanks!! By the way, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a complete n00b to tinkering with cars. I know absolutely nothing about them, but bought this car with the hope to learn how to do some things on my own and not rely on a mechanic all the time! Seems like I found a good place to get started! Thanks again! That was a surprisingly easy fix. Hehe.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

You're extremely welcome, in fact, I'm going to add this thread to my links for anyone else looking for a fix for the sticking hood latch.

You should take the time to set up your garage and gaslog on here. as well as filling out your location and such.

Quote:
Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Well, there's only one small problem... the speedometer sometimes doesn't work as well. I was told I can get the part for like $40, but I don't wonder if it's not just a loose cable that needs to be tightened?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

It could be a loose connector. I've had several of the connectors (speedometer, backup lights. oxygen sensor) toward the front of the engine compartment fail. I put a touch of conductive grease on each of the connector's contacts and reseated the connector to fix the problem. I've also had the speedometer sending unit fail too.

The rust problem in the back wheel well is caused by a poor design feature in the wheel well. On the inside of the wheel well underneath where that rust spot is there is a small shelf that collects road debris and moisture. I cleaned that shelf off and formed a slope of JB Weld on that shelf to eliminate the flat area so it wouldn't collect debris anymore.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

JB Weld? I've got a lot of learning to do before I do these DIY projects myself! But thanks for the tips! At some point I want to scrape out all the loose rust, prep it, chemical treat it to keep it from continuing to rust, then fill it with bondo, smooth it out and finish it with some touch up paint!

Umm.. how do you get 70mpg with your Civic CX? did you convert it to a hybrid!? Oh, I see, coasting with the engine off. Highly illegal doncha know! Do you have any write ups of your fuel saving tips and techniques?

Edit: I didn't recognize what your pic was until I looked at your profile. Now I understand why your average is so high.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
Supporting Member

1993CivicVX -

Welcome to GS! As you can see, there are already lots of "VX Advisors" in your camp, .

From looking at the pictures, if I were you, I'd try to clean the hood latch with a cheap toothbrush and WD40 like you said.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
... Oh, I see, coasting with the engine off. Highly illegal doncha know!...
Actually that is not accurate. It is a traffic violation (like speeding) to coast in neutral in some areas of the world, but you CAN coast in gear with the clutch in if you are really worried about it.

Note, Washington (and Colorado too I think) has specifically made it illegal for semi-trucks to coast with the clutch in, but stopping a fully loaded truck (which frequently runaway) and stopping a metro are two completely different scenarios.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.630
(1) The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a down grade shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.

(2) The driver of a commercial motor vehicle when traveling upon a down grade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged.