New Member - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Talking New Member

Hi everyone. Just bought a 1993 Honda Civic VX this evening with a little under 174,000 miles. I paid $1800 for the little gem. It has a little rust on the back wheel panels, the speedometer sometimes doesn't work and it has some idling issues that need to be fixed. Other than that the car seems to be in great shape. Drives smoothly and seems in good alignment. The undercarriage is whistle clean. There's a few scratches and a dent on the front. Here's looking forward to many miles and years ahead! I definitely enjoyed the 50 miles I drove home, mostly on the highway, and seeing the gas gauge approaching E barley budge.

A question about the lean burn while I'm introducing myself. I notice that at highway speeds of about 70mph on the drive home I was constantly getting feedback from the throttle: it'd start lagging, then suddenly surge forward, then start lagging, then surge forward-- this was very subtle, but still noticeable. The car didn't seem to want to just stay at a constant speed or rate of fuel consumption. Also, sometimes a lag after shifting for the car to accelerate. I assume these are all normal quirks of the lean burn engine?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll look into it!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Welcome aboard! Chalk up another one for an unmolested VX Check out the links in my signature for helpful links for your new-found source of FE enjoyment.

EDIT: I also PM'd you for a reply in the other post you posted in.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Supporting Member

nice deal for 1800!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Welcome!
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
nice deal for 1800!!!
Let's hope so... I never had a chance to bring it to a mechanic and its inspection sticker runs out at the end of next month... so maybe that was the reason he was selling it, because he was afraid it wouldn't pass (safety--should pass emissions with flying colors). Also, the hood suddenly won't shut. I drop the hood but it just bangs without shutting properly. Can't seem to figure it out! Am I missing something?

hmm.. one more question. How do I tell if its burning oil? He said it went through about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles but there's no smoke and I don't see a leak. Once I get the car inspected and looked at thoroughly by a mechanic, then I'll know if I got a good deal on it!

Thanks for the welcome to the site everybody

Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The hood latch not latching is a common thing too. Just stick your finger in the mechanism where the cable enters on the lower left side. Push the tab that the cable passes through as far to the right as you can. Then the hood should close. A dose of WD-40 daily for a week or so should help fix the problem.

And yes, your mileage is about right for burning oil. you won't see smoke unless you get on the throttle hard and in the higher revs. Valve stem seals are the usual suspect for this case, although rings can be at fault as well. But most commonly, it's the valve stem seals.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
The hood latch not latching is a common thing too. Just stick your finger in the mechanism where the cable enters on the lower left side. Push the tab that the cable passes through as far to the right as you can. Then the hood should close. A dose of WD-40 daily for a week or so should help fix the problem.

And yes, your mileage is about right for burning oil. you won't see smoke unless you get on the throttle hard and in the higher revs. Valve stem seals are the usual suspect for this case, although rings can be at fault as well. But most commonly, it's the valve stem seals.
Should I try to do anything to prevent it from burning oil or is it just one of the things that comes with age? I'm gonna go see if I can figure out the hood right now. Thanks again for all the help! Really glad I stumbled upon this site!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
By cable to you mean the metal latch thing on the underside of the hood that clicks into the latch? I'm gonna post a photo in a few.