New member from Akron Ohio, 2001 Saturn Sl1 - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #21
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf3r View Post
Hey all. I cam across you guys on saturnfans.com. I was looking into my magically disappearing oil problem (doesnt burn OR leak!?) on my 2001 Sl1. But hey, at least it gets over 30 mpg. Does any1 know of any ways to fix my oil problem? Great site BTW
Welcome to the site! Fellow Saturn owner here, 2002 SL1 automatic. As to the oil issue, I'm with the others, just keep checking it every week and add when needed, my last SL1 (a 2001) used a quart between changes, the current one hasn't used any yet. Keep up with the oil changes and go easy on the poor thing, the SL1's only have a 100HP engine, so great FE, but no power

Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
Welcome to the site! Fellow Saturn owner here, 2002 SL1 automatic. As to the oil issue, I'm with the others, just keep checking it every week and add when needed, my last SL1 (a 2001) used a quart between changes, the current one hasn't used any yet. Keep up with the oil changes and go easy on the poor thing, the SL1's only have a 100HP engine, so great FE, but no power
I can attest to that, the engine sounds like its gonna explode if you push it (not that i do ) and even then the car is still lumbering up the MPH slowly. We'll see how long this car holds out as Im looking to keep it for about 7 years, ill cross my fingers . BTW Odie, I saw that you are planning on adding cruise to your SL1, which is almost identical to my SL1. Have you got any quotes on it? I was thinking about doing it along with power windows/locks, but people say that doing this will end up costing me more than what the car is worth (about $7,000). Does any1 know if this is easy to DIY as the kits online are only $150 with full instructions, and the only thing i would be worried about (after reading the instructions) is finding a wire with constant 12 volt power going through it, and splicing it etc. I have no experience working on cars, but i thought, what the hell, if i own the car and its my first one why not learn?

Golf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #23
FE nut

Quote:
I can attest to that, the engine sounds like its gonna explode if you push it (not that i do ) and even then the car is still lumbering up the MPH slowly. We'll see how long this car holds out as Im looking to keep it for about 7 years, ill cross my fingers . BTW Odie, I saw that you are planning on adding cruise to your SL1, which is almost identical to my SL1. Have you got any quotes on it? I was thinking about doing it along with power windows/locks, but people say that doing this will end up costing me more than what the car is worth (about $7,000). Does any1 know if this is easy to DIY as the kits online are only $150 with full instructions, and the only thing i would be worried about (after reading the instructions) is finding a wire with constant 12 volt power going through it, and splicing it etc. I have no experience working on cars, but i thought, what the hell, if i own the car and its my first one why not learn?
I know of a wire that has the 12V you're looking for and it's in very close proximity to where you would mount the cruise control. There is a solid pink wire going to each of the fuel injectors that are hot as long as the key is in the run position.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #24
Supporting Member

Golf3r -

Also, if you *don't* have a sunroof, you may still have the fuse for it. I found this to be true on my SW2. It is located on the front passenger side of the radio/AC console, behind the vertical plastic panel that you can just pull off. On the back of the plastic panel, there is a map of what the fuses are for. On my SW2, it's a 15 AMP blue fuse on the top row. It is *only* active when the ignition is turned on. I intend to try to use this as a "no splice" way of using my electrical system.

Diamondlarry, what do you think?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Golf3r -

Also, if you *don't* have a sunroof, you may still have the fuse for it. I found this to be true on my SW2. It is located on the front passenger side of the radio/AC console, behind the vertical plastic panel that you can just pull off. On the back of the plastic panel, there is a map of what the fuses are for. On my SW2, it's a 15 AMP blue fuse on the top row. It is *only* active when the ignition is turned on. I intend to try to use this as a "no splice" way of using my electrical system.

Diamondlarry, what do you think?

CarloSW2
Awesome Ill have to check that out tomorrow. I have a quick question though, how do i use this fuse for power to the cruise control. Do i run the wires behind the fuse or something Hopefully I can get into my car 2morrow as its snowing like crazy right now. Damn lake-effect.
Golf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #26
Supporting Member

Golf3r -

Quote:
Awesome Ill have to check that out tomorrow. I have a quick question though, how do i use this fuse for power to the cruise control. Do i run the wires behind the fuse or something Hopefully I can get into my car 2morrow as its snowing like crazy right now. Damn lake-effect.
You will think I am super smart now. I just found this at Pep-Boys for $9 :

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=071-585
Attachment 338

It plugs right in to the same place that your fuse is.

Also, you have it even better because in the same location, you ALSO have a fuse for Cruise control! You can use the power that was intended for the Saturn cruise control. Here is how I think it would connect :

Cruise control fuse location -> Mini Add-A-Circuit -> power to your after-market cruise control -> connection to ground.

I have cruise control so it didn't occur to me that this would be available.

Question for RH77 : On your cruise control, didn't you midify it so that it was "smart" FE-wise? Didn't you limit the maximum throttle that cruise control could go so that the car would not try to add power going uphill?

I am not car-savvy (but I do lots of homework), so I would appreciate someone else chiming in to correct any errors I may be making.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #27
*shrug*

There are cheaper (few cent each) fuse bridges if you want to look around for them on ebay or something.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #28
Registered Member

Ah yes, the CCTLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Question for RH77 : On your cruise control, didn't you midify it so that it was "smart" FE-wise? Didn't you limit the maximum throttle that cruise control could go so that the car would not try to add power going uphill? CarloSW2
CFG-

The "CCTLS": Cruise-Control Throttle-Limiting System. The cruise control - control box is essentially an electric motor attached to a rotating cog attached to the throttle cable to pull it and open the throttle. I governed how far the cog rotates by wedging 2 allen-wrenches in the path of the cog and secured it with some zip-ties.

I found the allen wrenches allowed the choice of different sizes down to the millimeter to limit the throttle position to an exact limit -- in my case 21% via the ScanGauge.

Faults: The CC notices that it can't function properly, usually on the first set attempt and cuts the system and cannot be re-set. If the switch is turned off and on, it can be reset, and on the second try -- it will generally catch. If it catches, it holds >90% of the time.

Operation: It will hold a thottle position first, then if the set-speed is reached, downhill or level, the speed backs-off the throttle. Uphill, it will hold the throttle and brush-off speed instead of eating-up FE. So far it works well in light traffic, long distance situations. It helps with the psychological aspect of inadvertently holding a hill at speed or even accelerating with traffic. On mine, I'll get up to 5-over the limit and set it (5+ is so it doesn't engine-brake on the downhills so much). If you let it do what it wants, you can end up going 55 in a 70 uphill, but on level/downhill it picks back up, for example. Definitely helps with FE on an automatic basis.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #29
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
BTW Odie, I saw that you are planning on adding cruise to your SL1, which is almost identical to my SL1. Have you got any quotes on it? Does any1 know if this is easy to DIY as the kits online are only $150 with full instructions, and the only thing i would be worried about (after reading the instructions) is finding a wire with constant 12 volt power going through it, and splicing it etc. I have no experience working on cars, but i thought, what the hell, if i own the car and its my first one why not learn?
Sorry I'm replying so late I plan on doing it myself, I was an auto mechanic for 7 years, so it shouldn't be a major issue When I do, I'll document with my digital camera and post the wiring diagram. Then all other SL1 owners can have cruise too!