New Member Introduction and Background - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Member Introduction and Background

Introduction:

Hello GasSavers.org. I am a new member directed to this forum by an online Geo Metro forum. I do not drive a Metro (I am often tempted to invest in the vert, though), but I did recently purchase a turbocharged 1987 Chevy Sprint. I also own a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (2.0 non-turbo) and a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI awd (2.0 turbo). The Eclipse is my first car (purchased in 2000) and still my daily driver. The Talon is one in a series of turbocharged first generation DSMs that I've purchased and restored and/or built. It doesn't see the road much, though. The Sprint is my most recent purchase, the impetus being the "neat" factor of a 1.0 turbocharged econobox, the fuel economy, and the low emissions. I've spent the last few months restoring it and am currently finishing the new exhaust. It should be roadworthy by December.

Background:

I had no interest in automobiles until 2002 when my Mitsubishi Eclipse jumped time on my way home from work. In fact, just months earlier I learned how to perform an oil change. At the point that my car jumped time, I new nothing of how an internal combustion engine functioned (I'm not even sure if I was familiar with the term "internal combustion engine"). But, being poor and intrepid, I jumped into diagnosing and remedying the problem. Fast forward 5 1/2 years and I now restore and build neglected DSMs (for the most part).
Fuel economy was of no concern to me until 2004 while I was utilizing public transportation on my trips to and from my college campus. I was in the midst of a legal battle to restore my driving privileges and I mentioned to a friend, "If gas ever reaches $3.00 a gallon, it won't make financial sense to drive, anyway." Later that year, gas approached $3.00 a gallon, and I was concerned. This was at the peak of my interest in building motors, and although my platform was a 2.0 four cylinder engine, making power with this turbocharged engineering gem can wreak havoc on fuel economy. So, I became interested in other platforms that offered much of the fun of power-based building, but better fuel economy when driven conservatively. That's when I discovered the turbocharged Suzuki Swift/Forsa, Pontiac Firefly, and Chevy Sprint. I kept on the lookout for one being sold locally, and two years later I stumbled upon an add for a non-running Sprint for $900. I looked over the car for two days before determining I could repair it and that it was worth the investment. Months later, it's nearly roadworthy and the recipient of a mild restoration.

Why I'm Here:

I've been monitoring the fuel economy of my Eclipse over the last few months (I keep track from time to time as a rough measure of engine/sensor health) and, with what I consider conservative driving techniques, I've maxed out at 23 mpg (city/highway combined). I'm trying to improve on this number utilizing reliable techniques developed/practiced by enthusiasts. I will likely switch over to the Sprint as my daily driver within the next six months, and I will transfer the techniques I practice with my Eclipse at that time.

That's it...that's everything.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome to the board!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Three hours on this board, and now I want to find a Civic VX. A quick search, and I can't find anything locally. Crazy.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Supporting Member

AnthrAxNSB -

Welcome to GS! I like your stable of cars. I think you should search for user "DRW" because he has a 1990 Laser getting 40+ MPG.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthrAxNSB View Post
Three hours on this board, and now I want to find a Civic VX. A quick search, and I can't find anything locally. Crazy.
Join the club :P

Those VXs are pretty difficult to find, but they're worth the time to find them.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
AnthrAxNSB -

Welcome to GS! I like your stable of cars. I think you should search for user "DRW" because he has a 1990 Laser getting 40+ MPG.

CarloSW2
I did a search for "Eclipse" an hour or two ago and I saw her/his car. I don't understand how s/he manages 45 MPG in a turbo 1g. The car is modded as well. How do you more than double the fuel economy and still drive that car? I browsed her/his log as well, and I think I read that s/he has a chip specifically for fuel economy. I'm running a chipped EPROM also (in the Talon), but it's definitely not for fuel economy.

I'll have to look at the log again. If I could pull off above 30 mpg in my Eclipse GS non-turbo, I'd be astonished. I don't think anyone in the local DSM community would believe me if I told them someone was getting 45 MPG in a turbo 1g. There are people getting 15 MPG in their 1gs around here.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Supporting Member

AnthrAxNSB -

Quote:
I did a search for "Eclipse" an hour or two ago and I saw her/his car. I don't understand how s/he manages 45 MPG in a turbo 1g. The car is modded as well. How do you more than double the fuel economy and still drive that car? I browsed her/his log as well, and I think I read that s/he has a chip specifically for fuel economy. I'm running a chipped EPROM also (in the Talon), but it's definitely not for fuel economy.

I'll have to look at the log again. If I could pull off above 30 mpg in my Eclipse GS non-turbo, I'd be astonished. I don't think anyone in the local DSM community would believe me if I told them someone was getting 45 MPG in a turbo 1g. There are people getting 15 MPG in their 1gs around here.
My opinion is that this is the answer :

90 Laser
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/207
Quote:
... Modifications
upgrades include: EVO 3 16G turbo, 7x3.5x28 fmic with short route 2.5" pipes, Denso 660cc fuel injectors, Walbro 255HP fuel pump, 2.5" to 3" exhaust, 2G MAF with 3" intake. Removed balance shafts, taller 5th gear, removed approx. 100 pounds, Eibach Prokit springs, GR2 shocks/struts, custom front end alignment, polyurethane suspension bushings, Apex SAFC fuel controller, EPROM ecu with my own tuning, switch for popup lights, front wheel fairings, partial underbody panels, ACT lightweight flywheel, ACT2100 clutch, tires at 45psi, lightweight synthetic oil in motor and trans, LED running lights and brake lights. ...
My limited understanding/perception of the fuel controller is that he can map his fuel injection for performance or economy.

But he's the source. He should be speaking, not me, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Sure...you can lean out the mixture with the S-AFC. I use an S-AFC as a piggyback along with my EPROM. If you look at the entire mod list, and consider how that translates in terms of power and speed (and fuel consumption), it seems crazy to think the owner wouldn't be dumping fuel constantly. 660cc injectors require compensation with a 2g MAS to keep from running rich (I run 660cc injectors with a 2g MAS as well). The only thing I don't see on that list is a boost controller, but I have to assume s/he's not running stock boost, otherwise the rest of that list is being put to waste. If those are real numbers, I'm impressed.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
Supporting Member

I think his car is front wheel drive only. Which is a major advantage

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha. They are popular cars in a way. All of my close friend who drive in the car can't believe at all the mileage it gets. I already have about three people ready to buy my car if I were to sell it, and my one friend actually just bought a VX. But he got an amazing deal of $900 for one with only 125k on it...

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote