New member with a Nissan Cube... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking New member with a Nissan Cube...

Just wanted to stop in and say hi before I just into the threads asking questions and what not.

As it says in the title, I have a 2010 Cube with a 6-speed manual that I am right now averaging 26.8 mpg, mostly highway between 65-75mph. Those aren't very good numbers, and nowhere near the EPA rated numbers of 31mg. I track my mileage every fill-up with my Gas Cubby iPhone app. I also have a Scan Gauge II that I use. It's set up to display intake air temp, water temp, MPG and TPS.

The stock steel wheels were 15x6's which weighed 15.6 lbs. I'm now running a set of Maxxim Screech 15x7's which weigh in at just over 12 lbs. not much of a drop, but better than nothing. I'm still running the stock Toyo A20 tires which are 195/60's. At the moment, I'm at the stock psi of 33 lbs. I'm thinking of raising them to 40 lbs in the front and 37-38 lbs in the rear.

Oh, and just this morning, I decided to buy a 10-pack of VG's for it too just to try out. If they add anything positive, great, if not but don't hurt anything, that's fine too I guess. If they don't help, I'll just take them back off. At only 20 bucks shipped, I'm not too concerned about them.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I hope to be able to squeeze some better numbers out of it in the weeks/months to come! Here's a pic of it just for fun.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

I'm sorry.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Welcome, Chopsqube.

Cubes are a funky ride, comparable to my xB in size, power, and FE capability. 26.8 mpg is horrible. Anyone driving normally should be able to pull the EPA numbers in daily driving. Slow it down to 65 mph, and you should be able to pull mid-high 30s mpg figures easily. My Sentra SE-R gets 26 mpg at 72 mph, 33 mpg at 62 mph, and 38 mpg at 55 mph. If I can do that with a 2.5 liter engine, you should easily beat my figures by at least 5 mpg across the board.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Naaa it's because he got a blue or black colored cube instead of a white or green one. Sounds like you got a good price on the VG - didn't think they were that cheep for 10 of them.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome.

What is your motivation for improving fuel economy? Are you mainly motivated by saving money, saving the environment, or something else?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Chopsqube,

careful, those are loaded questions!

just joshing

welcome and best of luck!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I'm sorry.
Apparently...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Welcome, Chopsqube.

Cubes are a funky ride, comparable to my xB in size, power, and FE capability. 26.8 mpg is horrible. Anyone driving normally should be able to pull the EPA numbers in daily driving. Slow it down to 65 mph, and you should be able to pull mid-high 30s mpg figures easily. My Sentra SE-R gets 26 mpg at 72 mph, 33 mpg at 62 mph, and 38 mpg at 55 mph. If I can do that with a 2.5 liter engine, you should easily beat my figures by at least 5 mpg across the board.
I'm driving it like I should. I don't hot-rod it and I shift at low rpms, usually no higher than about 3000. I can't help the fact that it has crappy aerodynamics. You're SE-R is a lot sleeker cutting through the air than my Cube, or your xB for that matter. I'm not going to mope along at 65mph in a 70 when everyone else is buzzing by at 75-80mph.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Sounds like you got a good price on the VG - didn't think they were that cheep for 10 of them.
Yep, got them on eBay. We'll see if they do anything though.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Welcome.

What is your motivation for improving fuel economy? Are you mainly motivated by saving money, saving the environment, or something else?
Saving money. All the new cars these days are pretty eco friendly, so that shouldn't be a concern.