New member with Mazada - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

New member with Mazada

Hey everyone. I just joined the site yesterday.

I traded in my 2002 Subaru Impreza for a new 2016 Mazda 3 just two days ago so I figure I'd track the fuel economy from the beginning (well, almost the beginning since I don't have the odometer reading and gallons for the first fill since that was done by the dealer).

I had been using an UltraGauge in the Subaru for about the last 3 years but I didn't record anything anywhere. But I never reset the average MPG and I ended up with 27.5 MPG overall average.

I put the UltraGauge in the Mazda yesterday and found that, in general, it agrees fairly well with the car's trip economy number. The UltraGauge updates much more frequently so the number may not be close at first, but it starts to converge after ~15 minutes of driving. But I have yet to calibrate the UltraGauge for the Mazda. I hope it's pretty close as I really like the numbers I'm seeing.

Later,
-Bob

gonzobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hi Bob
Good luck - i'm sure you'll save a fortune on fuel with your Mazda!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to Fuelly Bob, congrats on the new car.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

hi n welcome bob
im sure new car will see u with some good fuel savings,

I have wondered about buying a scan gauge here but im not sure if theres much if any benefit over and above cars computer with live mpg
MukkyPaws1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

The Scangauge is crucial if your car doesnt display the live and average mpg data, or does so in a useless way. My 2013 i20 Blue drive (supposed Hyundai supermini eco flagship) had a live bar that maxed at 60 mpg - at least twice that is needed to be useful. The average figure was then cycled through on a display with at least 5 functions, in the centre of the dash, out of line of sight.
The cars own computers were totally inadequate for displaying helpful data.
The Prius has so much better laid out info, i havent thought of installing the Scangauge - even if it wouldnt mess up the lovely dash!
The Scangauge probably increased my economy by 10%, but you probably have all the info you get from it in your car.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for that Ben
I guess mines not too bad it shows constantly live MPG and avg at one click of button but does max out at 99.9mpg so im im not sue I am getting fullest benefit
will see how I go for a while longer as is and look for scan gauges etc in a while
I cant seem to see real benefit of pulse and glide here tho, seems to me pulse and "assisted" glide works better on this car, glides never seem to return extra fuel spent getting up to speed, so I am trying pulse and glide but once gliding I maintain high mpg on computer feathering throttle until time to pulse again ..any comments are welcome pls

Old 07-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

With your mpg figure, you gotta be the expert! The Hyundai 1.1 crdi perhaps up to 200 mpg indicated was the max useful Scangauge figure, but often 120-150 was visible. The Prius shows 100-150, thats more than enough.
i've switched from a lifetime of diesels to my first hybrid in march, i'm still trying to figure out the best methods myself!
Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

paaaah no expert here ;-) still trying to find out what car can do (still only owned it for nearly 3 weeks so finding feet still) and whether any mods would be worth having etc, So far am seeing about £10 per day in my pocket improvement over my last cars 50 or so mpg ... I touched lucky on the car I decided to buy imho along with a fairly good work route for eco driving and doing it so often gives chance for real life comparisons
still haven't tried EOC yet not sure if I want to or not tbh as car has stop/start (not that it gets chance to be used much) and would hate to see probs start with battery and or starting ,any opinions out there ?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Yeah, dont do it! As your engine uses no fuel while in gear and no throttle, coasting in gear does it for me. There is an argument that on a downhill you should dip your clutch, as the fuel used is offset by the gained momentum, but i dont like the feeling of lack of control in a runaway car.
Other people here will have a different opinion though, ask ChewChewTrain!
I like stop start - the i20 had it, the Prius has it in the extreme.
Our Honda doesnt, and you really notice it if you're stuck in traffic. Turning the engine off always seems so slow and awkward by comparison.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukkyPaws1 View Post
Thanks for that Ben
I guess mines not too bad it shows constantly live MPG and avg at one click of button but does max out at 99.9mpg so im im not sue I am getting fullest benefit
will see how I go for a while longer as is and look for scan gauges etc in a while
I cant seem to see real benefit of pulse and glide here tho, seems to me pulse and "assisted" glide works better on this car, glides never seem to return extra fuel spent getting up to speed, so I am trying pulse and glide but once gliding I maintain high mpg on computer feathering throttle until time to pulse again ..any comments are welcome pls
The technique was originally known as pulse and coast; it may have first been termed that in a '50s Popular Mechanics. The glide term seemed to show up with hybrids. Feathering the accelerator on a Prius got the regen simulating transmission drag to turn off, and the car was essentially in neutral.

So I see coast as leaving the car in gear, and glide putting it in neutral.

With fuel cut off, leaving the car in gear for a coast might seem to be the better idea, but with fuel cut off comes engine braking. This leads to having to pulse more often than if putting the car in neutral. Which could mean using up the fuel saved by the cut off, or even using more, than using neutral for the glide.

Of course, this is situational. If you are going to be slowing down anyway, stay in gear for the fuel cut off.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote