New Members: Welcome Thread - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_o View Post
I was ready to join as soon as I read through some of the forums with the good tips then after reading the faithbased snake oil thread, I had to join immediately to put in my $.02. If nothing else, she gained you one more member. I made my first post there, then came to intro myself.

I have a 2000 Olds Alero with a 3.4L, auto tranny and a Ford Windstar, 3.8L, auto tranny.

I have been trying to adjust my driving habits but compared to my soon to be old habits, this takes the patience of Job, especially in Austin, TX.
I have a similar car to your Alero, a '99 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4 auto. If you look at my mileage log you will see a steady increase from mid-20's to mid-30's. The difference? Mainly driving technique. Sure, I pumped my tires to 35 pounds (I should probably do more), and I keep the car tuned and serviced. But my commute is now almost entirely SoCal freeways, and I average 60 mph. I accelerate slowly and anticipate stops. The a/c is only used when I have passengers and I keep the windows cracked slightly if it is hot--otherwise the windows are closed. The car is always clean and polished which may also help some. But driving technique makes the biggest difference. SoCal freeways can't be any better for driving slow than Texas. I get tailgated and glared at but I move out of the way at interchanges and I make room for those entering the freeway. I have books on tape so I enjoy the drive and let people do what they do.

mjswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
Registered Member

Hi. Just found the website, great stuff. My most recent Civic purchase a 98 ex sedan 60k get's the worst gas mileage of any of the Civics I've owned 31 to 34 mpg. I'm going to start with a good tune up. I do all my own work. But after that I need to see what is best to do. Looks like this is the place to find out.

needmorempg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #23
Registered Member

hi everybody, I have been looking at this site for a while now, and decided to jump in. I own 4 diesels , a gasoline subaru outback, a gasoline nissan pickup , and a honda valkyrie motorcycle. I have been experimenting with various ways to improve gas mileage, and look foreward to sharing ideas and learning all I can on the subject. gas in my area is 4.00 a gallon, and it's only going to get worse.
mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #24
Registered Member

Hi All

My vehicle is a '99 BMW 2.3. It is fitted with an onboard MPG calculator which I always have on.

So far my average is 29 mpg.

I've been researching the best way to get it over 50 mpg, that's my goal.

I've collected quite a few good tips so far.

Seems I've come to the right place for more!
David_Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #25
Registered Member

Vintageman

Hello to all...as the name implies I'm fast approaching middle age (now 75). I have two vehicles, 1 that needs help badly, and 1 that can do much better. The first is a Chrysler T&C minivan, 1999 vintage w/110K on it, and the other a 2006 VW Jetta TDI. It was a great discovery for me to find this great group and I look forward to many months/years of sharing methods of getting better mileage.

Basically up to now I have made two electrolysis units to produce hydroxy gas (Browns gas) but am having much difficulty getting information out of VW about my diesel.

Anyway glad to be here.
lbgrant3@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #26
Registered Member

Hiya From Munising Michigan

Grr...wrong place for it. Sorry
WorkingOnWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 AM   #27
Registered Member

Hello all

HI everyone Goofy1 here. to start off, i have NO experience in fixing cars. i've always paid to have someone else do it. but i have a 97 Toyota Tercel(blackhawk)it has a 1.5l inline 4 with a 3 speed automatic. I know most here have standard transmissions, but being Tall in a little car makes it very hard to drive stick. But anyways, i have been tring different things on the car(simple things really) and here are the Results(all results are mixed driving city/hwy. i drive between 250-300 miles a week)

1.Starting out i was getting 27-28 mpg
2.got rid of all un-needed weight. no change
3.Did The Gumout professional fuel cleaner(yes the one at Walmart) up to 31.5 mpg. a nice increase if i do say so.
4.Tune up with a K&n air filter(the normal one, not the cone) a BIGGER increase. 35.7 mpg and that was checked today.
Not but of start considering the epa on it is 29mpg city.
But i'm looking for more ways to increase the mpg. but i need more experience in fixing cars to save some $$$.
Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
Thanks for reading and many BIG mpg's for you all.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #28
Registered Member

Cool need MOJO for GEO

I am Sewerratt007, I live in central Ohio, right in the middle of a biofuel field. How bout some working ideas. I have a 1992 Geo Metro two door hatchback. Stock car it has 216,000 miles. It has had only one valve job at 150,000 miles. In the past month I have done the following new struts all round, new tires 12 inch are getting hard to find, flushed cooling system, removed oil pan and cleaned pick up screen, (suprisingly very clean) new front wheel bearings brake rotor and pads. Replaced all filters, spark plugs, pvc valve. inspected all hosing. everything done. I am going to drain and refill 5 speed gear box soon. I am interested in grill blocking. I have read all the tips on this site and am familiar with driving techniques. I am currently getting 46 mpg, would like to get it over 50mpg on a continous basis.
sewerratt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #29
Registered Member

Hi, Just like everyone else here trying to stretch a buck and see how much I can improve my MPG.

EPA average combined for my car is 19mpg, I have been getting an average of 23.2mpg over 12,000+ miles but would like to be able to get it up over 25 mpg.

Fr3AkAzOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
EPA average combined for my car is 19mpg, I have been getting an average of 23.2mpg over 12,000+ miles but would like to be able to get it up over 25 mpg.
I just looked at your car's description. Considering how awful it is and how much you want it to die, I'd go ahead and experiment with EOC. I'd love some data on EOC's effect on automatic transmissions...