New Members: Welcome Thread - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #41
Registered Member

Newbie saying Hi!

Name is Tim, live in Houston, Texas. Many of you won't believe the following but it is true and I can substantiate the claims. Now, don't throw stones, but I drive a 2000 Chevy Corvette. Not considered to be a good MPG car but........ I have done several modifications with INCREASED the horsepower and resulted in tremendous gas mileage increases. Of course, this is with the proper, conservative driving habits to squeeze mileage out of each gallon of gas. I am still trying to see how good it can get while still being SAFE!! I DON'T coast downhills (that can be very dangerous) I DON'T tailgate (dangerous and illegal) I DO use my A/C (old and can't stand the heat) but I DO NOT use heavy acceleration (buses leave the light faster than I do sometimes!) do NOT use high RPMs between shifts (6 speed), do NOT speed (well, no ALL the time anyway - LOL - hard to go slow in a Vette). I recently changed out my engine with a 2003 Z06 engine MODIFIED with an output of approximately 530BHP, dynoed at 461RWHP. I am using full Royal Purple in everything, full performance exhaust, modified intake (large diameter filter which increased the air intake surface area over 500%!) and am currently getting 20MPG in town and 38MPG on the highway with the cruise control set at 70MPH. If I monitor it myself, I have attained as high as 42.7 MPG. Not bad for having the performance available if you want it (0-60 in less than 4 seconds) 1/4 in less than 11 seconds. The EPA rating for this car in 2000 was 18/28 so by increasing engine efficiency / performance and modified driving behaviour, I have a 11% increase in city driving and a 36% increase in highway mileage. Not bad. Now to try some methanol/water injection AFTER the throttle body. Developing a metered plate to work in conjunction with AFR computer control. Hoping to double mileage and also increase performance at the same time.

Now, if I can find someway to afford one, I would love to have one of the new Tesla that is electric and will outperform my Corvette, goes over 200 miles on a charge and only cost about $.01 per mile to operate. Only drawback is the price, $109,000.00

sikpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. The Corvette, while generally not seen as a good car for fuel economy, really can be with the right driver. It's got gobs of torque even down to idle speed, so you never have to rev it up to get where you're going. It's got very little aerodynamic drag. GM V8 engines are very efficient (for a V8). I assume it has a very tall 6th gear.

A couple times people have described that the Vette is actually more efficient at something like 75mph than at 60; I remember an aerodynamics discussion that explained it as being due to a change at that speed in the way that the air flows.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #43
Registered Member

New guy here, I have a Subaru Impreza STI and drive 100 miles a day (50 each way to and from work). Not exactly the best mpg car since it takes 93 oct Best mpgs I've gotten was 25 lol.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #44
Registered Member

Intoducing myself

My name is Dave and I own a small custom exhaust shop that is also part manufacturing. This plumber I know that has his warehouse close to mine told me about this and I had to check it out.
exhaustartist@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #45
Registered Member

Hello Fellow Mpg Freaks

I have been hypermiling for awhile now. 1998 Merc Mystique 2.0 4 cyl w/5 spd manual tranny. Bought the car 10/05. Started out getting high 20s to low 30's. Last tank was 48.899 MPG. No mods unless you consider a SG II and full moon hubcaps as mods.

I look forward to blogging with all!
jstol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #46

Introducing my self

My first post, just to say Hi,

looking forward to improve FE!
derickveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #47
Registered Member

Hello From Middle Ga.

Hi
I Am Almost 60 Years Old And Drive A 1998 Dodge Pu With A 318 V-8. I Am Trying To Improve My Mpg. I Put A Hho System On And Get About 30 Mpg. My Goal Is To Get 50 Mpg.
hoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #48
Site Team / Moderator

Good luck in reaching your goals Hoke. Be sure to add your truck to the garage on the site and log your fuel purchases so everyone can see your progress.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #49
Registered Member

You don't say what type of tranny you have behind the 318 in that PU. Either way good luck reaching your goal! Welcome aboard!
jstol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #50
Registered Member

Hi I am a newbie

I drive a 2006 Scion XB 103 miles a day to work. I started with an about 29 to 30 mpg. When I got 60,000 miles on it I changed my spark plugs with the E3 diamond fire plug. With in 4 tank fulls of fuel my mileage was 34 to 37. I use Mobil One oil and change it every 5000 mile. My other car is a 1998 Lincoln Continental with 165,000 miles on it. I get about 23 mpg on it, not bad for a V8.

GasSavers_Lowryder is offline   Reply With Quote