New Old Coot from Texas - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation New Old Coot from Texas

You know, if the auto manufacturers would wise up, they could make vehicles that would not only be more economical, they could cost less to buy and be easier on the environment.
Suppose, just suppose, that it were to become illegal to have A/Cs, heaters, radios and in short, any type of comfort in a car. Like the 1936 Chevy, for example. No automatic transmission, no radio, I think it did have a heater, but no A/C. Didn't have turn signals, Hand signals worked just fine. No power windows or locks, no power steering or brakes. All that stuff wastes fuel and causes people to drive more, putting out more greenhouse gases.
Cars are made to get from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time. Stick shift only, that would eliminate most of the teenaged girls driving around in daddy's car. 4 cylinders maximum. Allow only one vehicle per family unless they could show an actual need to have two. No one under age 21 would be allowed to drive. No motor vehicles on the streets between 11 PM and 6 AM except for long-haul trucks and emergency vehicles. Fix all the cars so they will not go over 50 MPH
Another thing that would help... Outlaw all types of auto racing. All it does is get people killed. What was his name, Dale Earnhardt, would still be alive today if not for that. Motor scooters would be OK, but not high-performance motorcycles. Then they could start looking at all the distractions.. Make it illegal to do anything else but drive. They say cell phones cause accidents, even if you have a hands free setup. Then make it illegal to be talking to your passengers while you drive. No eating, drinking, smoking, talking or anything else while you drive. The cars could be made with a separate compartment for the driver, so they couldn't be distracting him. Make the driver have to stop the car in order to open or close the windows, turn on the wipers or anything else. Do all these things, and the pollution will decrease, accidents will decrease, demand for fuel will come down and so will the prices. That's for gas and oil and for cars too. Go ahead and flame me, but if you think about it, that's the way.

Tocapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

I'm gonna say that the founding fathers would spin in their graves at the speed of light if this ever happened. In theory it's not a bad idea, but history has shown that anytime the gov tries to "fix" something, the result is usually the problem getting worse. Take a look at poverty rates over the past 60 years or so. . . sharp decline until welfare, then it stagnated and hasn't budged since.

When gas hits $15/gallon due to peak oil, your idea might come true all by itself anyways, without causing a civil war. Imagine telling all those Texans they where required by law to give up their pickups. . .yeah, not gonna happen.

However, I would like to see federal safety regs go away completely, and maybe maintain a federal safety rating department. I think a lot of people would drive a super lightweight 150 mpg car with no power locks/steering/windows etc, if one was available, but safety (and emissions) regs have precluded that from ever happening. I think if I want to drive an efficient car that won't protect me as well in an accident, the gov shouldn't tell the automakers they can't make one.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

not looking to make friends are you?

you bring up a few good points, but fail to consider some things:

economics, civil liberties, and gov't power are a few to be sure.

no worries however, there are MANY tree huggers here that have not the slightest clue about how delicate the world economy is. they go on pushing their green or liberal agenda w/out any concern for mankind.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
lol! Old coot indeed. You really oughta run for political office. Would go over real well. I think the best one you suggested was stopping the car in order to turn on and off the wipers. That would make the roads a lot safer. Just imagine the pandemonium when a sudden thunderstorm blows up.....

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandw View Post
Take a look at poverty rates over the past 60 years or so. . . sharp decline until welfare, then it stagnated and hasn't budged since.
this is VERY interesting. do you have a source?

not doubting you, just sick of subsidizing those that do not WANT to work while struggling myself and seeing the TRULY needy go without support--retired/injured vets for example.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocapet View Post
Go ahead and flame me, but if you think about it, that's the way.

I conserve. I work hard to save myself money. That's my choice.

More government is bad. I'll fight to keep it out.

Greenhouse gases? Are you going to tax lions, tigers, and bears for breathing out CO2 in addition to the other natural ones? It's a bad science theory.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Actually what they're trying to do is make it too expensive to drive. Then everyone will use public transportation. You get up at 5 AM, stand at the bus stop in the rain to catch the bus at 6, change buses and ride, stopping at every corner, so you can get to work at 8. At 5 PM, just reverse the process so you can make it home by 7.

I'M A CYNICAL OLD COOT!

Tocapet is offline   Reply With Quote