New Yaris Member - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Yaris Member

Hi All,

I stumbled onto this site a few days ago, and found it to be very helpful in HyperMiling.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Yaris Lift-Back, and the sticker price shows EPA City/Highway of 34/39, but after 1,200 miles of using some of the pointers found on this site, I average 44.5 MPG in mixed driving...I never thought I could get better then the EPA estimates...I was astounded, and this with an auto-tranny!

I use a ScanGaugeII, and keep my tires at 55psi.

I purchased the Yaris new for $13,195 and it is not a striped down model either. I'm exceedingly happy with this car....my last car was a pile of excriment: 2006 Ford Mustang...a VERY undependable car, very low MPG car, and it lacked the refinement and attention to quality that my current bottom-of-the-line Toyota provides.

Glad to have found this site!

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome to the site! Which Orange County are you in? Getting near 50mpg is great our of an automatic... If you can stand going 55mph on the 5/405/etc (if I'm guessing correctly), you should break 50-60mpg easily. Toyota's automatic transmissions tend to be geared significantly lower than their manuals imle, so as long as the cruise control is set at a steady speed, you'll almost always see better highway mileage compared to driving a stick.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks....yes, OC California. I'm a very early riser, so I hit the freeways before traffic, so getting high MPG is not a challange. For a bottom of the line car, the Yaris is surprisingly well built, refined and once cruising speed is hit, it is quiet too.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Supporting Member

i wish i had enough money but my budget wont allow 13k on new car. welcome to the site!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome. There are a bunch or Yarii on the site. They have a friendly FE competition going. Add your car to the Garage. It's a good way to keep track of mileage as you work out your FE improvements.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

Welcome.

Now wheres that competition? LOLOLOLOLOL
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
FE nut

Welcome to GasSavers! Nice work on the 44.5 avg.! I'm betting that we hear of 50+ tanks soon.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

Welcome to a great website. It looks like I now have someone to compete against in 2007. I too have been very happy with my Yaris Hatchback. My mileage keeps getting better and better.
Roadrunner
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Supporting Member

MorningGaser -

Welcome to GasSavers. You'll be really happy with all the Yari (plural for Yaris?) that are here. Lots of knowlegia to absorb.

It's funny how you say the Yaris is refined. It get's dogged in the press for being to "plastic-ee" but I think it is fine. I *love* all it's compartments. They are making use of every drop of dashboard volume by doing that.

I'm also a believer in the center console. It gives the car lower international UMC (Unit Manufactuing Cost), and leaves space in front of the steering wheel to mount the ScanGauge. It's like they designed it FOR the ScanGauge!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Registered Member

Welcome MorningGaser. 45+ mpg is fantastic for an automatic! Aerodynamics must be good on your car because my car would be lucky to see that @ 55 mph in 5th gear. What speeds do you drive on the highway?

Be sure to enter your vehicle in the garage and start entering your gaslog.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote