Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo
What is the most likely thing to check?
O2 sensor.

Quote:
How do the syncros work with 0-20 synthetic in the metro transmission?
Fine. I'm running GM Synchromesh semi-synth, which has a similar viscosity to 5-30. I've said elsewhere that I believe the Metro manual has an error in it calling for 75/90 in the gearbox. When I got my car, it had 2,x00 original KM on it, and I drained and replaced the tranny oil. I compared it to the viscosity of 75/90 synth, and the original oil is *definitely* not as thick as 75/90.

When I switched from 75/90 to synchromesh in my 1st Firefly, the balky synchros improved dramatically.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Metro mileage, sooty exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
O2 sensor.
It sure looks like the O@ sensor is working. Check engine light comes on after a few minutes if disconnected and goes off when reconnected.

When I switched from 75/90 to synchromesh in my 1st Firefly, the balky synchros improved dramatically.
Thanks for the oil suggestion.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Ime up for a big brake repair soon on my Metro Swift.

It will probably pass the next yearly inspection (next month) , but I know the discs are rusty , thin and scored (fins are hard on their brakes) and I think there is some drag in the front or the back.

So new calipers , master cylinder and wheel cylinders is on my shopping list.

PS , Not this sort of drag.
Gammy, is that you in the pink??
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2
Gammy, is that you in the pink??
Depends , does it turn your buttons on ?
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Fine. I'm running GM Synchromesh semi-synth, which has a similar viscosity to 5-30. I've said elsewhere that I believe the Metro manual has an error in it calling for 75/90 in the gearbox.
My Chiltons for my Suzuki Sidekicks says the samething. 75/80 for both manual tranny and rear axle.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
Supporting Member

MetroMPG -

Quote:
My first Firefly/Metro had slightly draggy calipers. I tried to service them, but it was a bit of corrosion on the piston preventing them from retracting fully/smoothly.

So I changed them with new/rebuilt ones. There was a noticeable difference on the next tank. Though from a cost/benefit perspective, I think I calculated the MPG gain would have taken 60,000 km to pay for the repair
Could you put that in the "regular maintenance" column for car safety? Maybe you did it for FE, but I think brake servicing is needed for all cars.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Registered Member

I guess you could chalk it up to regular maintenance for safety, but it really wasn't dragging much (weren't getting noticibly hot). I bet most people would not even have noticed and if they had, they wouldn't have bothered replacing them...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #18
Registered Member

Traded Geo for a Saturn

Well I sold the 95 GEO metro. No need to bad mouth it. It was a very cute car but just did not deliver the mileage I expected without dramatic changes to driving style. Also it would not take a scan gauge.

Last Saturday I bought a 2001 Saturn SL1. I have not done a second fill up yet but I think it is going to deliver within 10% of the mileage I was getting with the GEO. It feels much more aerodynamic. It slips along effortlessly at 80 though I usually drive 65-70. I bought it with a check engine light on and a high idle with a miss. It turned out ot be an easy to change intake manifold gasket. The local parts man at Saturn admitted this is fairly common. This is much more car than the Metro and is rated 40 mpg highway. So far I really like it. The seat is just about as low as the Metro hatchback's was though. Getting out can hurt my knees if I am not careful.

OH BOY!!!! I got my ScanGauge today. Oh my gosh! How will I keep my eyes on the road now. This is the tool I had fantasized about many times not knowing it had been developed. I had always thought it would take an aftermarket computer and laptop to access this kind of information. I have only had it a couple hours but it may be the most fun I have ever bought in my life. Woops, maybe that is too personal. Anyway it is really cool to be able to look at all those gauge functions. I thought the engine was running a bit cool. Now I know it is running 173 degrees F. In just a few seconds I learned that this car stays closed loop much more than my turbo charged T-Bird used to. It took a long time to figure that out on the Ford.

I have not got the tires aired up to maximum in this yet. I was busy with the engine work. Now I need to start thinking about driving economically.

Ernie