Old VX owner with a question. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Old VX owner with a question.

Hello to all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes. I have a 92 VX that I have owned for 5 years. It has 190k on it but I changed the motor at 169k. The body is in need of a paint job with a few dings but nothing major. I replaced the motor with an import D15B four years ago. The car runs great, has AC, and passes CA smog checks way below average. I've been able to get 55 mpg on a regular basis on the freeway doing 65-70mph. My family has expaned recently so I haven't really driven it much in the last 3 months. A relative asked me to sell it to him. I don't really know what it's worth. It has a new Oxygen sensor and a new CAT. It runs perfect and I hate seeing it just sit there in the driveway so I am considering selling it to him. He just needs a commuter car so he doesn't care about the paint. I also have a bunch of extra parts for it like a spare engine, tranny, and extra computers. I don't have any pics to post right now but maybe I can post some later this week. So what do you guys think it's worth? I was thinking maybe $1800. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Thanks for the help.

luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

Why is it sitting there? Why aren't you driving it? These cars are exceptionally rare and I'd rather sell it to someone, if I had to, to someone who deserves it. Btw since you did an engine swap, does your VX still have lean-burn capability? If you're not driving it cause gasoline is cheap, just wait a few years and you'll realize that you'll regret selling it.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

I would rather be driving it but I have a new baby. I had the carseat in the back for six months but my wife started getting paranoid about having the baby in such a small car so I finally caved and bought a bigger car. I told my relative that if I sold it to him he could only sell it back to me when he wanted to get rid of it and to no one else. We are pretty close so I don't think he would sell it to anyone else.
Yes it does still have lean-burn capability with the Federal ecu. It stops working when I put in the CA ecu to get it smogged though.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sell it to your relative, but put a lean on the title for additional money. Then if he tries to sell it to someone else, he has to pay you the lean amount.

Example, sell it for $1800 and put a $1200 lean on the title. Then unless he sells it back to you he has to pay off the lean, which means you will get a total of $3000 for the car.

Thats probably close to what it is worth. Change the lean amount to a figure that is acceptable to both of you.

regards
Gary
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxor View Post
I would rather be driving it but I have a new baby. I had the carseat in the back for six months but my wife started getting paranoid about having the baby in such a small car so I finally caved and bought a bigger car. I told my relative that if I sold it to him he could only sell it back to me when he wanted to get rid of it and to no one else. We are pretty close so I don't think he would sell it to anyone else.
Yes it does still have lean-burn capability with the Federal ecu. It stops working when I put in the CA ecu to get it smogged though.
You should try getting it smogged with the Federal ECU as I've heard of people in california who have successfully smogged their cars with the Federal ECU installed. When you say you got a bigger car, what exactly did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Sell it to your relative, but put a lean on the title for additional money. Then if he tries to sell it to someone else, he has to pay you the lean amount.

Example, sell it for $1800 and put a $1200 lean on the title. Then unless he sells it back to you he has to pay off the lean, which means you will get a total of $3000 for the car.

Thats probably close to what it is worth. Change the lean amount to a figure that is acceptable to both of you.

regards
Gary
For someone who knows so much about liens, you sure can't spell it!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
For someone who knows so much about liens, you sure can't spell it!
come on man, be considerate. we all misspell from time to time, and i don't think we should get in the habit of correcting such insignificant things. besides, Gary is one of our most respected and knowledgeable members!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
come on man, be considerate. we all misspell from time to time, and i don't think we should get in the habit of correcting such insignificant things. besides, Gary is one of our most respected and knowledgeable members!
If nobody corrects him, how will he learn? I appreciate when people correct me.

The lien idea sounds good, if your relative is willing. Gary, how would he put the lien on it? Does it get filed with the department of motor vehicles?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the info about the lien but I don't think I need to go to that extreme.

I ended up buying a four door Accord for more room. It's still a four cylinder but not nearly as good on gas.

I use the CA ecu because the hood was changed before I bought it and the federal sticker is gone so the smog guys in CA refuse to run it as a federal car. It will pass the smog test with the federal ecu but it passes with better numbers when I use the CA ecu.

So do you think that $1800 is a fair price or too much for a relative?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

That's too bad, you could have bought a civic which too is a four door and would yield much better mileage numbers.. The Civic hatch looks very small and unsafe but had you just gotten the same car in a 4-door version, maybe a few years newer, the wifey would have accepted it, no?
Old 04-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxor View Post
I use the CA ecu because the hood was changed before I bought it and the federal sticker is gone so the smog guys in CA refuse to run it as a federal car.