philmcneal from Canada BC - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
Driving on E

I think you'll find that a

I think you'll find that a talented thief can steal any car if they really want to. Cars are pretty easy to hotwire if you know what you're doing, and unlocking a steering column takes just a few seconds.

The best course of action is to install a few kill switches. I personally perfer having one kill switch for the fuel pump and one for the starter.

This would at least discourage them from taking the whole car, unless they have a tow truck, in which case you're screwed.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

i like the kill switch idea.

i like the kill switch idea. i need to install one anyway so i can keep my scangauge alive during FAS (that idea from dan).

i was planning to incorporate it into my a/c switch. i don't actually have a/c (just a blank where the switch should be) but i'll get the switch from the wrecker.

not that i'm too worried about someone stealing a firefly. but i normally leave my doors open. i figure if someone wants my parking change, they can have it. cheaper than replacing a broken window.

ironically, i rarely ever locked my accord too. it was locked that first night in vancouver only because my snowboard was in the back (underneath some plastic garbage bags). they took my parking change too. ah well.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #13
Registered Member

is there any success stories

is there any success stories to overiding the engine immobilizer found in newer gen civics? 7th gen and above is more what I was refering to. IF anything has an immobilizer been cracked before?

Yes anyone can steal any car, if they want it its theirs period. But the least thing you can do is "not my car it sucks! its not worth it and i'm poor!"
Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
*shrug*

Quote:I think you'll find

Quote:
I think you'll find that a talented thief can steal any car if they really want to. Cars are pretty easy to hotwire if you know what you're doing, and unlocking a steering column takes just a few seconds.
True true. I leave my door unlocked but I snuggle my ipod under my seat sorta out of view (). I also have no interior but hell. Honda-tech has me thinking everytime I leave the car it'll be stolen when I go back for it, .
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

the only car i ever had that

the only car i ever had that i worried about being stolen was a 1981 vw cabriolet that i fixed up pretty nicely. no security at all (thief would just cut the top - in fact the top was cut when i bought it). so of course i never locked it.

but when i parked it in the city, i always used to pop the hood and take the coil wire with me.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

I'm fine with getting my car

I'm fine with getting my car stolen, but vandalizing is not what I want. My car is worth more stolen than If I were to sell it. I guess if my car was stolen I'd take the bus and save my money.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
Driving on E

Re: the only car i ever had that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
but when i parked it in the city, i always used to pop the hood and take the coil wire with me.
Excellent thinking. Some guys will take the fuses out of the fuse box under their hood with them.

I actually read about one honda owner who would chain his car to a tree each night using six different chains.

I have little fear of my n600 being stolen, especially since I think there are maybe 3 in the entire state.

I need to think of a way to discourage people from stealing my civic though... perhaps a sticker that says, "My engine gets 92HP at 4500RPM."
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #18
*shrug*

in general for having to

in general for having to worry about it so much.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

sometimes you can't stop a

sometimes you can't stop a thief from being an ******* just because they are high on some drugs.

Here in Surrey most car thiefs is actually influenced by the drug meth believe it or not. They get super high and steal as many cars as they can, its like a game for more euphoria. After all all it takes than less than a minute to steal a car that's unarmed.

Hm taking certain fuses or wires sounds like a good idea, too bad I don't know which one!

edit: I mastered bump starting whoo! its as satisfying as rev matching oh yeah~~

and now a days you can add an engine immobilizer to almost any car I think. A store near here sells a kit for 200 cnd where you get immbolizer, keyless entry and alarm + remote in one. Haha godda love the way of the market.

Thief goes up = insurance goes up
= more security devices sold = deal!
more security devices on car = cheaper insurance! wow what a world.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
Registered Member

Welcome philmcneal, from a

Welcome philmcneal, from a first time poster that found this site through greenhybrid and one of your posts.

As another non-hybrid owner this site will hopefully be more welcoming.

GasSavers_worthywads is offline   Reply With Quote