Picking up my VX on Sunday! Pics! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieVX
thanks for the warm welcome.

im picking it up for $3250. i know its probably more than what people on here got their VXs for, but they are so hard to find in stock form, and considering the condition of this one, i think its a fair price. Im also moving in two weeks, so i needed something fairly quickly. with my old dd (92 240sx) i would end up spending about $300/month on gas at 25mpg and 100mi/day. by getting the VX i can hopefully get close to cutting that cost in half and save $100-$150 a month.

anyone have any suggestions on what maintanance i should perform right off the bat? there are things i could think of:

-over-inflate tires (50-60psi) possibly get some new LRR tires
-replace motor/tranny oil with 0w-20 synth or conventional?
-replace spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor
-replace o2 sensor (ouch)
-check/replace brakes and wheel bearings

does anyone know what the timing should be set at while idling? i only ask because im going to need to smog it once i bring it into CA and every car ive ever tried to smog has initially failed because of the timing.
I dont think that price is bad either considering the condition it is in. That one looks great and as an added bonus it isn't that ugliest color Teal!

You are right finding a stock one is like finding a vigin at a faternity party.

-tires I am unaware of any LRR tires that will fit the 13inch VH rims. There may be some out there but I have not yet seen them.
- Oil I think that 0-20 only comes synthetic. I havent seen any conventional dyno- 0-20.
- plugs make sure they have the right VX plug in there (ZFR4F-11) even when I orded them from a honda dealer I got the wrong ones.
-o2 ebay is the best place I found for one.
-Brakes always check god knows what someone had done in there. Bearings I didnt replace mine just gave the tires the "wiggle" test when it was on the lift.

Good luck with it

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

^ jack - thanks for the useful info. its funny how i always end up with red cars, i dont think the teal is THAT bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Welcome to Gassavers. Now we can have a meet in Ventura County! (I'm in Ventura)

Congratulations on your VX, they are a great deal. I wouldn't worry about changing out the Oxygen sensor, until you get the car and see what sort of mileage you get. Additionally, I'd hook a voltmeter up to the O2 sensor output and monitor it, before you change it out. Generally, they either work or they don't, although they also can get into a state of poor responsiveness.

On your change of address, I can appreciate that Marina Del Rey might seem like it will have more life, for someone your age, but what a drag in terms of mileage. On the other hand, you can take PCH from Santa Monica to Port Hueneme, which is a nice drive, most of the time.
is that how you guys are monitoring when the engine goes into "lean burn"? by hooking up a voltmeter to the o2 sensor?

yeah the commute is definatly 10 times worse, literally, but it wont be too bad once i get the vx. i was actually living in west hollywood while i worked in oxnard for a few months, and that was a bad commute, about 60mi each way on the most traveled section of the 101. it would take about an hour to get to work and 1.5-2hrs to get home. I think PCH will be a lot more relaxing and might actually yeild some good mpg's since the speed limit is 55 and chp loves the PHC. i am definatly down for a ventura county get together.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Check out Krousdb's posts on his VX. I believe he's got the voltage's listed in one of his posts, but that's how he is able to tell he's in lean burn. He say's he can get it to stay in lean burn, and maintain 55, with no drafting. He's posting significantly above average mileage, so he's got to be doing something right.

On PCH, you best well presume you've got LA Sheriff, up to the county line and CHP in Ventura. LA Sheriff on PCH can be a real pain, especially around holiday's. They love to stake out certain sections. The only speeding tickets I've had in the last 20 years are all courtesy the LA side of PCH. On the up side, they don't seem to patrol so much during rush hour's.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

Michelin Harmony and Vredestein Quatrac2 are LRR tires that you can get in 13" sizes. I am currently running Michelin Harmony at 60psi on my CX.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
Michelin Harmony and Vredestein Quatrac2 are LRR tires that you can get in 13" sizes. I am currently running Michelin Harmony at 60psi on my CX.
Thanks for that tidbit!

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieVX
Hi Gassavers!
I live in a place called Port Hueneme, Ca and work in Oxnard, Ca as a Mechcanical Engineer for a forged wheel factory. I graduated from UCSB with my ME degree in 2005
----so heres were gassavers comes in. Ive always been a car nut, but never one to really look into mpg, i was more all about performance.
I started readng a lot on tdiclub.com, and quickly noticed their monthly mileage competitions.
...so after about a week of research, i found that the VX would be a perfect canidate for my new commute,
Hi, Robbie! Welcome to a nest of fellow car nutz!
FE is my game ; I've found a way to have your torque and sip it, too! LOL!
Find your way to the "GasSavers Marketplace" on this site...look under the "For Sale"section, find my ad "Another gas additive?" ...and I will be only too glad to send you 6 pages of more info (in exchange for your mailing address...that's what the SASE is for). Fair? -Ted Hart (a fellow ME, used to live in Fullerton!)
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #17
Registered Member

When you pick up your car, you should try to find out how recently the timing belt and the water pump were replaced. The timing belt's are supposed to be replaced every 50,000 miles, although they can go a lot further. However, a broken timing belt is a major annoyance, at best and may potentially ruing the valve train, also. If you do need to get replace the belt, it would be prudent to do your water pump also, since you have to remove the belt to get to the water pump. The water pump's tend to go out around 200,000.

Good Luck, nice looking car!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
Registered Member

thanks for the info gary. supposedly the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 14x,000 miles. i will probably replace them both when i get the chance, just for the piece of mind.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #19
Registered Member

If the pump was replaced at 14x,000 then I wouldn't worry about it. You should be able to pull the cover to the timing belt and see what sort of condition the belt is in. If it's looking dry, old and stringy, then it's past time to get a new belt. If it look's good, no tiny crack's, fairly fresh, then it's probably good for awhile.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #20
Registered Member

just got back last night and was very impressed with the car. picked it up at about noon, filled up the tank, and drove back from pheonix to la, stopped in palms springs at my moms. the thing is so clean, the guy garaged it all its life and had all the paperwork including the original window stricker. i drove anywhere between 65-75 mph the whole way (i know not the most efficient speed, but with a speed limit of 75, its hard to go much slower). got all the way pack to port hueneme (448mi) and the tank seemed to be pretty low, so i filled it up (8.3gal) aproxx 53mpg, which was very impressive considering i didnt do anything to the car execpt fill it up and drive.