pigfragger from NOCAL - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to pigfragger
pigfragger from NOCAL

sup guys, just registered on this forum because gas prices are killing everyone. I am a student at UCD. And like most students, i can barely afford the gas that goes into my car.
I own four cars, 1991 mr2 na, 1991 mr2 turbo, 1985 MR2 with 20 valve engine swap and an Integra 1989.

Obviously the integra is the most fuel efficient car in this bunch, and i drive it around the most. I have no idea what the MPG on the 85 is, never bother to measure it because i rarely drive it. 1991 mr2 has ok EF, about 28, 29 at best. Turbo has pretty bad mpg, an acceptable 25 mpg with a light throttle, but that's not what it was build for, about 20 or less when the turbo kicks in. Larger injectors/aggressive tuning/etc aren;t exactly FE mods, and it has a pretty large spoiler, so that probably kills some more mpg, only mods that i can think of that would improve mpg are, stripping of interior, lost a whopping 350lb!. Removal of AC compressor, and flat panels i have laying around (not installed yet). But overall the car is pretty crummy on fuel, at requires 91 oct minimum, it can run up to 100 octane fuel, obviously not my daily driver.
the 85 unfortunately also runs on only 91 because its a high performance high comp engine from japan. Once again no idea what my 85 mr2 is like.

Now to my integra, 1.6 liter engine, this is a big bigger both in displacement and size than most other hondas on the board, mainly vx and hf.
I bought the little beater for about 440. Clean title, 160k at purchase. The interior looked like it was used to house insane asylum inmates. but mechanically the car was in great shape, needed a tune up thought, pre tune up i still got around 30 mpg, which is pretty good. At first i beat the crap out of it, and generally has some pretty lacking maintenance. But since gas prices rocketing sky high i started to take much better care of the car, since its still pretty fun to drive. I redid the suspension, got springs, strut bar, headers, short shifter, performance ecu, cai. I barely spend any money on the mods, thanks to craigslist, the springs were eibach and cost me 25 bucks. The CAI and headers were free! Yes free!, they came with an also FREE engine for the car. Apparently some guy pulled out the engien from a car to turn it into a buggy, but lost interest, and ended up giving everything away. Needless to say i scored a free engine, header and intake. Intake was dirty as hell, swapped it with a kn cone. The only mod that cost real money was the mugen ecu. 100 bucks, with a switch that lets me switch between stock and performance. Stock the car only needs 87 octane which is good. With the switch flipped on, it would need 91 octane, but at least i have the option to revert back to 87 octane. The ecu made the car alot peppier, similar to adding about .4 liter of displacement tot he 1.6 liter engine. To my surprise my mpg didn;t went down at all. Before that withe everything stock i got about 33-35. Usually no lower than 30. Pretty decent considering the car is ancient and EPA said it would only get at best 30 on the highway and 26 highway. any how the ecu made the car alot easier to drive, and MPG didn;t drop a bit so that's good. Up until yesterday my ECU was running the performance program, and with hard drivng, basically WOT 0-60 runs from exit ramps, and quite a bit of city driving i still got 35mpg, which is pretty darn good. I switched back to stock setting because premium gas cost arm and leg now, and i shorten my intake considerably, so it draws in hot engine bay air. Hopefully these mods will bump up my MPG. I'll keep you guys updated whether these readjustment did anything. I am just hear to learn.

pigfragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
My brother has a stock 1987 MR2 and is trying to figure out how to get better mileage with it as well, it currently gets low 30's, as high as 35mpg on the highway, but the engine spins insanely fast in 5th gear over 3,000rpm at 55mph getting up close to 4,000rpm going 70mph, we were wondering if there were any other trannys that use simaler gear sets that could be swaped in to lower the final drive down to something reasonable.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Might get lucky with a Corolla tranny, same series transmissions, don't know how much they changed to make it work in mid engine format though.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to pigfragger
yeah the gearing on the mr2 is stupid high like 3250 at 60, i bet if you dropped it to like 2.5k? that would probably help, there is a 5th gear mod for my integra though, rgiht now its nearly 3k at 60, the accord 5th gear mod might drop it to about 2.5k.
My current best MPG is 38 for the integra, this was on a trip to LA, going up LA hills sure as hell didn't help.
pigfragger is offline   Reply With Quote