Recent Ford C-Max Owner checking in to report 50mpg average with 90 mile/day commute - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recent Ford C-Max Owner checking in to report 50mpg average with 90 mile/day commute

I'm Jeremy. I recently purchased a couple Ford C-Max's for my company fleet. I commute from my south office to my Denver office, daily. The round trip is roughly 90 miles (per day). I average roughly 65mpg on the way in and roughly 45mpg on the way back. My south office elevation is 7300ft, and my Denver office elevation is roughly 5500ft.

I'm happy with the cars and my purchase. The fleet is averaging roughly 52mpg per car, which is significantly better than my old Jeep Cherokee's which averaged roughly 18mpg. Charging cost roughly $1 per day, per car, and my fuel cost appears to be around $0.04 per mile.

I picked my cars up used with roughly 50,000 miles on them split 50/50 between EV and Gas. For $12,000 each. I'll be claiming a Colorado tax credit on all cars along with writing off a percentage of my EV charging station.

All is good. Cheers!

Jeremy-Ferranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

Congrats.... Sounds like you're doing good.
Is so nice to get mileage. Nicer than I thought it would be.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello and welcome to Fuelly. Great mileage you're getting there, you should save a small fortune over the years.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm guessing you actually got the C-max Energi with the plug. Just want to clarify, because there is a non-plug in version available.

It seems you took advantage on the low used prices for plug ins. Good time to buy for those thinking of trying one out. With chargers at each location, you should displace a lot of gas. Have you opted for a green energy plan, or even installing your own renewable power?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Corolla View Post
Congrats.... Sounds like you're doing good.
Is so nice to get mileage. Nicer than I thought it would be.
I was surprised to see the numbers being higher than what was advertised ad reported by Consumer Reports. Now that I've been driving for about a month or so and my driving habits have improved by using the on-board driving training program I'm seeing roughly 54 mpg. I leave my house on a full charge (21 miles of battery use showing) and cycle the EV usage on and off (dependent on whether I'm on a hill or flat / maintaining speed). When I arrive at work I have roughly 15 miles remaining. I leave work and do the same on the way home (which is a 2000ft elevation gain) expiring the battery and driving on the gas engine for the last 20 miles or so.

Basically, on 1 charge per day and 85 miles of daily commuting. Commute is 42.5 to work and 42.5 home, 95% highway that's where the actual MPG is coming from.

If I could charge at work I could likely get to 60mpg. Oh well good enough for me - for now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I'm guessing you actually got the C-max Energi with the plug. Just want to clarify, because there is a non-plug in version available.

It seems you took advantage on the low used prices for plug ins. Good time to buy for those thinking of trying one out. With chargers at each location, you should displace a lot of gas. Have you opted for a green energy plan, or even installing your own renewable power?
I do have the C-Max with the Plug - Not the C-Max Hybrid.

Green plans are on the horizon. I'm waiting to see what happens this next year with solar subsidy and the Tesla move to buy Solar City and curious to see if solar panel costs will continue to decline. Right now it's not too bad power is only $0.12 per kW so it only costs me $1 a day to charge the car... seems reasonable to me.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Unless you are subtracting your EV miles out for the MPG calculation, that number is going to be better than you are actually getting on a gallon of gasoline. I'd guess you are getting around 40mpg on gas alone if we were able to parse out the electric consumption, which would still be higher than the Energi's combined EPA. Knowing how many full charges you used for a tank, we could calculated a decent estimate for a MPGe value.

Consumer Reports drives the cars hard on their fuel economy test, which is one of the reasons why their numbers are useless for fair comparisons. They got around 35mpg city in a gen3 Prius. To see numbers that low in my less efficient gen2, I was doing 90+ on an interstate. People that have commutes of only couple miles might get numbers that low.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

Just clicked hit the 5,000 mile of my ownership mark. Mileage is holding steady right at 51.5MPG. I'm seeing roughly 700 miles per 13 gallon tank and re-filling every 8 days. My 8 day electric charge usage is averaging roughly 55kWh. I'm only overnight charging.

J
Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

Similar stats to myself, range and MPG, except I only burn diesel, not electric and petrol. How come you aren't adding the fuel ups to Fuelly now?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote