Saving fuel with 4x4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Saving fuel with 4x4

Hi all! I've been toying around with fuel mileage tricks recently and have been getting what I think to be good results. I have a '94 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3l automatic with 150,000 miles. I've had it for about 1.5 years now and have gotten a consistant 17mpg (one tank at 16 over the winter). What really got me started on this mpg kick is after I installed a Flowmaster muffler on it my mileage improved by 1.5mpg. That got me thinking, how much more can I get? I've added a few hypermiling tricks, and my last tanks was 20.6!!! For the tank of fuel I have now, I've lowered the front of the truck one inch, added air to the tires (up to 38psi), and removed the luggage rack off the top. I'm hoping to get to 21mpg in combined driving with this latest round of tricks.

CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

w/ a V6, auto, and bad aero you are limited. but it sounds like you're well on your way.

you might try a grill block as well. but, driving tech will yield the best gains of course.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Yes, driving technique, and a ScanGauge would probably be a good investment. I have a 1998 GMC Sierra K1500 extended cab with over 160,000 miles. Last summer I was able to hit 16 MPG (the truck's EPA highway rating) driving in city traffic. I hope to do better this summer...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I take that back... I don't think a ScanGauge is compatible with a 1994 S10... I'll have to double check...

-Jay

EDIT: After checking www.scangauge.com , the earliest S-10 that was compatible was the 1995 S-10 with the 4.3L engine.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. While you can't expect to match an economy car's fuel economy, you can improve on whatever you're getting. The hardest part is getting help from people on truck forums for questions specific to your truck...truck forums are very hostile to fuel economy discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I take that back... I don't think a ScanGauge is compatible with a 1994 S10... I'll have to double check...

-Jay
Nope. I doubt GM had any OBDII vehicles in 1994. I think only a couple foreign manufacturers had OBDII models in 1994.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah, mine is OBDI.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, driving technique, and a ScanGauge would probably be a good investment. I have a 1998 GMC Sierra K1500 extended cab with over 160,000 miles. Last summer I was able to hit 16 MPG (the truck's EPA highway rating) driving in city traffic. I hope to do better this summer...

-Jay
I got rid of a K1500 ext cab Chevy in favor of my Blazer. I had enough of the 12.5mpg!!!!!!! I put on new exhaust from the manifolds back including O2 sensors, cats, and a Summit cat back system, brand spanking new cyl heads, complete tune-up, along with driving like a blind 90 year old, and STILL only got 12.5mpg! Gaining 5mpg by changing to the Blazer was a huge relief!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

With the Scangauge on my K1500 I was able to tell that accelerating like there was an egg between my foot and the pedal was bad. It was much better to just give it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and get up to speed, and into a higher gear faster. Even in the winter I can average 14 MPG, and in the summer I can do better. The ScanGauge is a big help though. Its a shame that your vehicle is not compatible...

-Jay

Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

3/4ton Truck Needs More Mpg

Quote:

-Jay
I BOUGHT A USED DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 WITH THE 5.9 GAS ENGINE FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS I WAS GETTING 8 MPG, I CUT THE MUFFLER OFF AND I GOT 10 MPG. I ADD THE K&N AIR FILTER AND IT IMPROVED HORSEPOWER AND MY MPG BY.05 I'M ADDED A FLOWMASTER MUFLER TO IT. I'M THINK ADDED THE SYSTEM TO RUN CAR WITH WATER TO IT.WHAT DO YOU THINK! I'M STILL LOOKING FOR WAYS TO IMPROVE MPG. I HAVE 144,000 MILES ON THIS TRUCK.
ALHEILMANJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

if exhaust and air filter mods are getting you mileage increases then you're pushing the pedal too hard. Those mods work for those that either drive fast, and/or are heavy on the throttle. Slow down, stay in the right lane, and try not to push the pedal more than 25%-30%.