Say hello to the Mighty Mira! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #21
*shrug*

All my quick replies get lost...

Anyway, this is worth retyping...

Good job with the cluster, I had to do a bit of that and it was a pain in the side.

Also, you should have a tach signal coming off your distributor and going to the ecu to control the function of the engine wrt timing/fuel, so you shouldn't need to use a spark wire.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Also, you should have a tach signal coming off your distributor and going to the ecu to control the function of the engine wrt timing/fuel, so you shouldn't need to use a spark wire.
Hey, thanks!

I got the basic stamp, will see if I can find the wire you are talking about tomorrow.

Hint: Before posting, hit CTRL A, CTRL C.

Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:03 AM   #23
*shrug*

I dunno if this is the industry standard...but try solid blue,
Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #24
Registered Member

Well done Mighty Mira. I wish I could do something so productive.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #25
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Well done Mighty Mira. I wish I could do something so productive.
Try putting a teggy cluster in your car, it's as much fun,
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

I took some pictures of the ECU. Here is one (after I opened it:

The various i/o pins are as follows (with my guesses for what they signify in brackets):
Top 12 pin plug:
IG (ignition)
E02
FC
ISC
VSV1
E03
E01
AMP
W
VF
BAT (battery)

+B1
SPD (speed)
IDL
N+
THW
PIM
VC
E1
+B2
A/T
AC
PSW
N-
T
THA
OX (With an overbar over the "O" - could this be an oxygen sensor?)
E2

I also note that there is a group of three sequentially numbered labels - E01, E02, E03. I'm guessing that these correspond to individual cylinders.

If any of you have any idea as to what these may portend, let me know. I think I will need to get an oscilloscope, hook it up to individual outputs, and play with the car in order to get a feel for how the outputs change and what those changes may signify.

p.s. The outputs I'm most interested in are as follows:
Speed
Injector (any injector)
Tachometer
Also, a BAP sensor would be invaluable (or if there is another way of figuring out the Barometric Absolute Pressure), because I want to be able to measure altitude on the fly, hopefully.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #27
*shrug*

Does the ECU have a BAP sensor on it? I know honda put the BAP in the ecu, if that helps.

EDIT:

AC could be the a/c clutch control, that's something you couldnt try disconnecting or checking for power/ground by toggling the ac switch.
A/T could be the lockupsolenoid control, depending on what kind of lockup you had, but since this is in AUS and it's a 95 it's very possible you only would have the one pin controlling lock-up.
AMP Part of the alternator test circuit perhaps?
PSW Does power steering need some sort of electrical crap?
FC Possibly fan control based on ECTs
IDL Mehbe controlling the idle air control valve?

I'm guessing the e01 stuff are injector things. You could always try following the wires/checking for continuity in the coloration.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #28
Registered Member

Thanks for the help,

I'm not sure if the ECU has a BAP sensor in it. Any idea where/what to look for?

AC - you mean Air Conditioning? If so, this car doesn't have A/C.

I wonder if AMP = MAP. If so, that's not going to really help me here because the car will never be at WOT hardly, and it needs the BAP sampled as much as it is sampling speed etc.

I'm just heading out to the car now to check up on the wiring continuity.

Quote:
Does the ECU have a BAP sensor on it? I know honda put the BAP in the ecu, if that helps.

EDIT:

AC could be the a/c clutch control, that's something you couldnt try disconnecting or checking for power/ground by toggling the ac switch.
A/T could be the lockupsolenoid control, depending on what kind of lockup you had, but since this is in AUS and it's a 95 it's very possible you only would have the one pin controlling lock-up.
AMP Part of the alternator test circuit perhaps?
PSW Does power steering need some sort of electrical crap?
FC Possibly fan control based on ECTs
IDL Mehbe controlling the idle air control valve?

I'm guessing the e01 stuff are injector things. You could always try following the wires/checking for continuity in the coloration.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #29
*shrug*

Most of the things you can test by looking at the signal that goes through them. I should take a picture of my BAP...but I'm a little tired at the moment and I think my batteries are dead, but anyway, it looks like a plastic brick with a little hole in the side, Anyway, even if the car doesn't have a/c if any of the cars did (or any of the cars that shared a similar ecu) did the ecu will have a space for the a/c, regardless of whether or not it is used, *shrug* Unless they were really picky about that.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Most of the things you can test by looking at the signal that goes through them. I should take a picture of my BAP...but I'm a little tired at the moment and I think my batteries are dead, but anyway, it looks like a plastic brick with a little hole in the side, Anyway, even if the car doesn't have a/c if any of the cars did (or any of the cars that shared a similar ecu) did the ecu will have a space for the a/c, regardless of whether or not it is used, *shrug* Unless they were really picky about that.
The following is a pic of my ECU. Let me know if anything resembles a BAP sensor, otherwise I will have to wait until I get an oscope to have a proper look at stuff.

(BTW car was actually manufactured in Sept 92.)