So much potential.... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
Registered Member

holycow, I don't think that megasquirt does obdii but I know it has capabilities to show just the same data.

a friend of mine just got his kit the other day. if you are thinking of doing megasquirt though, be advised that it comes as a complete do it yourself kit. a raw circuit board with no components on it and many MANY tiny baggies of parts to solder on the board. from what I understand, it isn't that bad but if you aren't expecting it, it will throw you for a loop.

also you need a laptop for it so why not just use that for data.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
If you're modifying a CRX, a question & a few suggestions.

1) Does it have door-mounted seatbelts? If not, you've got the early 88 version and it's lighter, a plus. If not, oh well.

2) Put in a VX engine and start with an HF transmission.
3) Once that's done, modify a Honda Civic Wagovan transmission for even better results. Wagovan is a 5-speed plus granny gear. Can be modified to turn into a 6-speed. Start with the 1st gear from an Si and end up with a .55 "6th" gear, HF final drive. Will give you most power with the VX engine D15Z1 and the Wagovan modified transmission. You should be able to turn out MPG over 80 with this setup.
4) Lighten the vehicle as much as you can - carbon fiber or aluminum hood, doors, etc., but make sure safety is not compromised. Use a donut spare in the trunk, etc.

Good luck!
All 88 and most 89 had the pillar mounted seat belts...90-91 had door mounted plus they 88-89 didn't have the door crash beams in them reducing weight but reducing safety too...This is for CRXs i believe it may hold true for the EF Civics too but not sure

101mpg do you have info about this 6 speed conversion....the wagocan 6 speed was the 4WD trans and the SL gear was to the far left and up so shifting from SL to 1st wouldn't really be a smooth transition plus it uses a cable shift instead of the hard linkage most Hondas use...I have heard people discuss the option of using this trans as a 6 speed but haven't seen any proof or evidence that it would work like you are suggesting...plus being able to find on is super rare anymore...not doubting you just would like some more info on it...

Hal9000 I'd say look for an HF trans, once you swap that in you should see some difference...plus doing a DPFi to MPFI will give you some more room for various motors and an OBD1 conversion may allo wyou some better tuning options...I'd say ideal swapping a D15z1 w/ HF trans or using a cable to hydro conversion and using the CX/VX trans will ultimately give you the best FE but that is a fair amount of work, but would probably pay off in the long run...GL and keep us posted!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Wow... Let me stop my head from spinning and see how many replies and new questions I can get out there in one post.....

In order of appearance:
1) Beef: I'm pretty old school. Rather than mess with a scanguage, I'll probably just mount an old vacuum gauge that I have lying around and shoot for the highest vacuum... It might not tell me my exact gas mileage, but it'll sure tell me when I'm getting the best FE. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe some time in the future...

2) RoadWarrior: The stock Honda auto is not very nice to drive in my opinion. I'd rather just be rid of it. FWIW, 70 mph is about 3200 rpm, and 75 is around 3400 with the auto. Not bad, but not great. The HF trans is pretty tough to find, so I'll probabl just pick up a DX or SI trans and install an HF diff in it for starters. That should be a vast improvement over the stock auto-box.

3)HolyCow: The MS unit I have is actually slated for the Cosworth/Mercedes that I've been building up for bonneville. I may never get that project done at the rate I'm going. But I have all the necessary parts, my unit is assembled and ready to go and I could easily throw it into the CRX if I decide to.... I'm not sure if I want to go that route yet though.

4) 101mpg: My CRX does have the seat belts on the pillar and not the door. Sounds like there's some confusion about what that means though... Anyway, can you tell me more about the wagovan swap? Also, I'm actually new to Hondas. Is there any primer info for the VX engines floating around? Why are they better, Could I build one with just a head swap (a lot of the D series engines seem to share the same bottom end), and what donor vehicles did they come out of? etc etc. The more info the better.

5) Suspended: Any suggestions for a Honda newbie? My power days were in VW's and Mercedes. I'm still learning the ins and outs of my CRX. Any tips in general would be appreciated (even if it's just to avoid breaking some tab on the back of the door panel)

6)Loserkid: What all is involved in the MPFI swap, and what cars should I look at for donors? Also, regarding the various engine/trans swaps. Do I need conversion mounts for the D15Z1 engine, and will it bolt to the standard HF/DX trans? Also, what's involved with teh cable/hydro conversion for the CX/VX trans and what's the payoff?

Thanks for all the help guys. The more you talk the more I know what direction I'm going to go......
GasSavers_Hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #14

Clarification - '89 CRXs did NOT have pillar mounted seatbelts. Only half of the '88s did. I've done my homework on this. Glad to know you have the early '88. I'd like to get one myself, currently have a 1989 DX.

VX engine (D15Z1) comes whole, and you'll need to do a complete engine & computer swap to effect this. Also requires some wiring modifications. There are harness kits you can buy.

The D15Z1 only comes out of the Honda Civic VX, 1992-1995. Basically it's the CRX HF hatchback, an extension of the HF technology. The engine is more powerful AND gets better mileage than the HF engine. The D15Z7 is the same engine from Japan, and in almost all situations less MPG, slightly more power. The D15Z1 is the best engine for this swap, not the D15Z7

If you're doing a full engine rebuild you can buy custom pistons from theoldone.com that will increase mileage further for the CRX & VX engines. "Roller wave" pistons on the components page.

Search these forums for CRX VX D15Z1 swap, also use Google for the same terms and you'll find the necessary info. Same for the Wagovan transmission swap.

Yes, going from granny gear to 1st is odd with the Wagovan "6-speed", but doable with the wagovan tranny. Also have seen people do a 4WD CRX with the same transmission. I don't have a primer on it, but I do have a guy who can do the transmission work for me, just saving up to do it. Requires a couple of custom-machined gears, and final drive from an HF transmission, plus the entire transmission rebuild.

So, you'll need to buy:
Civic Wagovan transmission
Civic VX engine & computer
Wiring harness conversion kit
HF transmission
custom gears (.55 is "6th" and needs to be fabricated)
Oxygen sensor from Civic VX, wiring should be in harness kit
possibly a few other things

After this you get into custom parts like carbon fiber / fiberglass / aluminum hoods, doors, etc. Also the VX wheels are a good thing to use.

This will give you the highest mileage CRX.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
The wagovan conversion sounds like a lot of work and money to invest but i'd like to see it when you are done...I am converting my CRX to 4WD using the rear of the wagovan along with a CRV trans and whole mess of custom parts...but thats not my FE project thats my power project

Anyways I'll post a link that should help you, MPFI swap is fairly easy if you are car savvy, most civics will have the stuff you need to do the conversion (except for 88-91 DX) the 88-91 Civic/CRX SI and HF were both MPFI and anything 92+ is MPFI (92-95 is also OBD1) OBD1 civic's used saturated high resistance injectors where the OBD0 used a peak and hold low resistance injector (which requires resistor) you just need to make sure have the right ones for which ever route you decide to go...

A basic parts list:
MPFI Intake Manifold
Injectors x4 (and resistor box if needed)
MPFI Dizzy
MPFI ECU
Injector wiring harness for plugs

I couldn't see paying more then $100 for all of this and even less if you have a "U Pull it" yard near you, I'd say it would be $60 for all that at my local one, if you do decide to go with the D15z1 you should convert to OBD1 and the swap should include all the stuff you need, just have to do some wiring...

Any D series ("D" in the begining of the engine code) 88+ use the same bell housing bolt pattern and will bolt to your motor (1G integras had a D16a1 I'm not 100% sure if that would bolt to it but the trans frame mount is different so stay clear of that) I know for my 94 Del Sol I needed a Auto-Manual Conversion mount since the frame rail mount is different between the auto and manual chassis, I'm not sure about the EFs looking at a parts diagram it looks like the just used a different rubber mount for the top mount and a different bracket for the rear mount...to use a 92+ hydro clutch trans you will need a conversion kit...it should include the mount and a bracket that allows you use a cable clutch instead of the hydro, hasport sells a kit and I'm sure some other companys do too...Might be worth going that route if you find a complete VX swap, its probably easier to track down a CX/VX trans then an HF, most people were giving them away a few months ago but with gas prices now they might have gained some value...

FAQ section for EF Civics/CRXs
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1508680

HTH and GL

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I think for now that the wagovan and VX conversions are a bit more than I'm ready to do, but I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for the necessary parts down the road. For now I just want to drive the car. Maybe when I'm done remodeling my house and building my garage I'll throw some real time into the project.

For now, I just picked up a DX trans for $75 and I think I've found an HF final drive section to swap into it. My concern with the HF trans has been that the DX engine appears to be more of a revvy engine, and I was afraid that the mis-match would actually hurt more than it helps. I figure that for starters, a DX trans with an HF final drive will be a good compromise. The gears are a little shorter, but the HF final drive is so much higher than the DX that it should compensate for that pretty well.

GasSavers_Hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote