Solar in Central Oregon. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
QDM
Registered Member

Solar in Central Oregon.

Greetings. Just found this forum a couple days ago when someone posted a link on a Suzuki Swift site.

I've been interested in alternative energy and energy efficiency for many years. My home is off grid powered by photovoltaic modules and a battery/inverter system. Since I was old enough to drive, motorcycles and scooters have been my main mode of transport. 4 wheels are necessary in the ice and snow of Central Oregon during the winter so I bought a Suzuki Swift to replace my sick Toyota Pickup. My most efficient commute vehicle is a gas engine powered bicycle that gets about 120 mpg.

Anyway my Swift seems to get about 50 mpg on the highway and 40 mpg around town. I'm going through the articles and posts looking for ways to improve the mileage.

Q

QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Driving on E

Welcome aboard! Always glad to have more swift drivers! I'm curious to know more about your gas powered bike.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
*shrug*

Hey there! This must be fate, I was just planning on asking some solar related questions tonight. I'll make sure to think things through.

Anyway, sounds like you're off to a good start with the metro. What's the model/year on it?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome, QDM. I wonder if that link you saw was at teamswift.net. I might be the culprit (geometro).

Solar eh? Congrats on the off-grid. I just added to my solar collection recently, but I'm just a hobbyist compared to you. I got a 55W panel to add to a 15w panel I've had for a while. Mostly for the sailboat, but also to play with the car and other battery powered ideas.

I used to have a gas powered bicycle too. Crazy machine. It was my only vehicle when I lived in the Cayman Islands for a few months a few years ago.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
QDM
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Matt, the powered bike is a $99 Walmart cruiser bike with a $150 Chinese engine kit. I've built about 10 of them for friends. Top speed is about 30 mph and they only weight about 60 lbs. Here's a pic of the one I made for my daughter.
SVOboy, the car is a 93 SOHC 1.3L 4cyl Swift hatchback. I wanted a 3 cylinder Metro XFI but got a good deal on this one since it needed some work, a transmission bearing.

MetroMPG, yes it was probably the link you posted on the teamswift site. I've been off the grid for about 18 years now and never looked back.

Q
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote