South Carolina boy here - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
Registered Member

I didn't know it was a DX

I didn't know it was a DX engine when I had it installed, I just knew that it was a used Civic engine from Japan with about 35,000 miles on it. Compared to the stock CX engine, it has a little less torque at low RPM's, a LOT more torque at high RPM's, and gives me the same MPG's as my stock engine, provided I don't dip into the faster-accelerating (0 to 60MPH in under 10 sec), high RPM range too often. The engine has whatever computer came with it from Japan. It still has the CX transmission. The only rust I have had has been on one part of the rear wheel well (repaired with POR15). Speeds are 45MPH to 55 MPH (country roads) to 65MPH (interstates) with about 70% interstate, 25% country road, and 5% urban driving. My biggest MPG killer is the daily 800 foot climb up the mountains into NC and the resultant engine and friction braking descent down the mountain. It's not all warm weather around here, the NC mountains where I do a lot of my driving gets its share of snow and low temperatures.

The only mod I have done on my CX has been to go up one tire size from the stock 165/70/13 (to 175/70/13 Michelin Harmony) and increase the air pressure to 55 PSI (front) 52PSI rear). The result has a great increase in cornering and braking capacity with no drop in MPG's. My CX has just the minimal instrument cluster (no tach or fuel consumption gauge), so I have to drive for MPG's mostly by "feel". Basically I drive with minimal use of braking (friction or engine), keeping the RPM's low, coast (freewheel) whenever I can on downhills and when approaching stops, using about 75% throttle when I accelerate, driving with load, and driving intelligently (knowing the stop light patterns, monitoring traffic to keep from having to brake, etc.).

Old 03-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

It was interesting comparing

It was interesting comparing the MPG's for the manual transmission CX and DX. Since mine is a hybrid of the two (DX engine, CX transmission) and I am getting CX MPG's combined with close to DX acceleration, it shows how important the transmission's gear ratios are to the MPG results. It was also interesting that there was no difference in the MPG's of the automatic versions of the CX and DX.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

Re: It was interesting comparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
It was interesting comparing the MPG's for the manual transmission CX and DX. Since mine is a hybrid of the two (DX engine, CX transmission) and I am getting CX MPG's combined with close to DX acceleration, it shows how important the transmission's gear ratios are to the MPG results. It was also interesting that there was no difference in the MPG's of the automatic versions of the CX and DX.
Yes, a very good reason for me to go with the CX transmission. When that happens we will both have DX, CX hybrids with similar curb weights. But the advantage goes to yours due to the sucky CD of the Del Sol.

Just a question, how did you get the 70 MPG tank? Truly awesome.!

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

Re: South Carolina boy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
My main commute is from Greenville, SC up the mountain to Asheville, NC and a secondary commute from Greenville, SC to Greenwood, SC.
Just wondering, do you work in Asheville? If so, where? I go down there for work every once in awhile to visit one of our manufacturing facilitys.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
XFi
Registered Member

Sorted for % over the combined EPA rating

That would be a good idea for the gas log. Maybe have it split down the screen or like you said, be able to sort it.

If it was done that way, I wouldn't be anywhere on it due to my mileage being UNDER the EPA ratings. It seems I need to do everything I can to get close to these ratings. I believe it is due to the gearing in my trans and oversized tires. Would be great on a flat piece of long highway, but I do alot of city and 'hilly' driving. I think it is overgeared. I will be switching back to the smaller stock tires soon.

Either way, it's not about 'being on the wall of mileage' It's about a group of enthusiastic (and a little eccentric, myself included) folk encouraging each other and sharing our successes as well as faluires.

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #16
Driving on E

Re: Sorted for % over the combined EPA rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroXFI
That would be a good idea for the gas log. Maybe have it split down the screen or like you said, be able to sort it.

If it was done that way, I wouldn't be anywhere on it due to my mileage being UNDER the EPA ratings. It seems I need to do everything I can to get close to these ratings. I believe it is due to the gearing in my trans and oversized tires. Would be great on a flat piece of long highway, but I do alot of city and 'hilly' driving. I think it is overgeared. I will be switching back to the smaller stock tires soon.

Either way, it's not about 'being on the wall of mileage' It's about a group of enthusiastic (and a little eccentric, myself included) folk encouraging each other and sharing our successes as well as faluires.
FYI MetroXFI, if you are using taller tires than normal odds are your odometer (and speedometer) readings are incorrect. You are more than likely getting better MPG than you realize.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
*shrug*

He knows this judging by his

He knows this judging by his gaslog, which says "uncorrected."
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
XFi
Registered Member

Taller Tires :(

Looking forward to changing them back! I wish they were atleast a little worn. They had put them on 500 miles before I purchased the vehicle.
I checked out the aspect ratio comparison and the 'calculator' on a site I was visiting said it was a 3% difference. So actually I have been traveling farther than indicated (of course increasing my MPG).
Trying to find some info on LOW ROLLING RESISTANCE TIRES in my stock size, but it's hard enough finding many options for 145/80r12's!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #19
Registered Member

Re: Taller Tires :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroXFI
Looking forward to changing them back! I wish they were atleast a little worn. They had put them on 500 miles before I purchased the vehicle.
I checked out the aspect ratio comparison and the 'calculator' on a site I was visiting said it was a 3% difference. So actually I have been traveling farther than indicated (of course increasing my MPG).
Well not necessarily. Most cars speedometers and odometers over register to begin with. Some over register by as much as 5%. The average seems to be about 1-3% over registration, at least in the many cars that I have owned. It is quite possible that even with the oversized tires you are still under registering. The only way to know for sure is to use mile markers over a long distance or by using the Google Earth idea that MetroMPG had.

Metro, if you are listening, how close is your odometer with stock tires?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:Metro, if you are

Quote:
Metro, if you are listening, how close is your odometer with stock tires?
72.7 km / 45.17 mi -- odometer reading

72.55 km / 45.08 mi -- google earth path distance

72.10 km / 44.8 mi. -- scangauge reading

so my odo is over registering google earth by 0.2% (point two percent).

don't mind me if i don't bother correcting my gaslog entries

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote