The little Mustang that could! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking The little Mustang that could!

Hey guys! Just checking in. I've run across several threads posted here via Google searches, and thought I might as well sign up.

My car is a 2008 Mustang GT. Yup, a modern muscle car, and one of the dumbest things to buy if you're trying to save gas. It's a long story how I wound up choosing this over a 2007 Toyota Yaris, so I'll spare you the details. I like both sporty cars and small economy cars equally, while my wife despises "dumpy" cars. You can connect the dots.

Anyhoo, I've got the 4.6L V8 engine, and a manual transmission. I consistently achieve 25-26 mpg (per tank), and on my last tank I managed 27.3 mpg. My only functional mods thus far are a K&N drop-in filter.

My goal is to consistently break 30 mpg with a 300 horsepower brick. I have just ordered a set of Airtab VGs to experiment with, and as soon as the warranty is up I plan on installing a full Western Motorsports CAI (without a performance tune) just to reduce intake resistance.

I also have a 2006 Buell XB12Ss "Lightning Long" that I commute with when I can (sometimes it's just too inconvenient). My fuel economy on the Buell typically ranges from 48-50 mpg.

~HA

Heavy Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You've probably got a whole lot of low-end torque. Don't be afraid to use it. It's probably the easiest way to save gas in a torquey car -- shift as low as you possibly can. Works great in my VW, which has nowhere near the torque your V8 has but more than a Japanese car...I often shift when I hit 1200 rpm.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

#1 FIRST thing to do! Get a ScangaugeII!!

P.S. The Yaris isn't a dumpy car. I stand by that no matter what trash the Yaris owners talk about little Smart cars. Mustang GT is cool, not gas miser friendly but MUCH better than a few other choices out there.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

What's the Scangauge II good for? I know a bunch of guys on Yarisworld use one because they don't have a tachometer, and to measure their mpg. The Mustang has a built in monitor for overall fuel consumption and live fuel consumption. Does the SGII do something special I don't know about?

~HA
Heavy Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
Hey guys! Just checking in. I've run across several threads posted here via Google searches, and thought I might as well sign up.

My car is a 2008 Mustang GT. Yup, a modern muscle car, and one of the dumbest things to buy if you're trying to save gas. It's a long story how I wound up choosing this over a 2007 Toyota Yaris, so I'll spare you the details. I like both sporty cars and small economy cars equally, while my wife despises "dumpy" cars. You can connect the dots.

Anyhoo, I've got the 4.6L V8 engine, and a manual transmission. I consistently achieve 25-26 mpg (per tank), and on my last tank I managed 27.3 mpg. My only functional mods thus far are a K&N drop-in filter.

My goal is to consistently break 30 mpg with a 300 horsepower brick. I have just ordered a set of Airtab VGs to experiment with, and as soon as the warranty is up I plan on installing a full Western Motorsports CAI (without a performance tune) just to reduce intake resistance.

I also have a 2006 Buell XB12Ss "Lightning Long" that I commute with when I can (sometimes it's just too inconvenient). My fuel economy on the Buell typically ranges from 48-50 mpg.

~HA
Congratulations! I have a 5.0 Mustang 5 speed and have hit 30 mpg a couple of times, and over 29 mpg overall--it can be done. With the low end torque and high gearing it is practically idling at 60 mph.
mjswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Armor View Post
What's the Scangauge II good for? I know a bunch of guys on Yarisworld use one because they don't have a tachometer, and to measure their mpg. The Mustang has a built in monitor for overall fuel consumption and live fuel consumption. Does the SGII do something special I don't know about?

~HA
The scan gauge gives several different types of data. It also scans the ECU for codes. The best thing for you to do is do search on the internet and see if it is something that you think will benefit you.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you already have a instant/average MPG gauge, then I suspect your money would be better spent elsewhere. The ScanGauge can show you live sensor data, 4 sensors at a time, in the form of a gauge, but its main attraction is to have one of those display MPG. A $40 code scanner can read and clear OBDII codes, or a $30 ELM327 cable with your laptop can show you live sensor data as well as log that data (which the SG can't do), but of course the laptop can't be mounted in front of your speedometer to view as a gauge.