There are other like me!!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

There are other like me!!!

Hello:
I have been sorta of an efficiency fanatic for a while now, did not realize there were others out there that would do the crazy mods to get better mileage numbers!!!

I started years ago, reconstructing the nose of my Tercel for better aerodynamics, much to the displeasure of my then girlfriend. Recently I started up again with the aerodynamic improvements, albeit more restrained, just taping up/sealing the nose of my cars to lower the Cd a little and making small changes to lower energy consumption. I was making long trips on a somewhat regular basis. I was able to get my 94 Jetta up to 37 mpg at an average 69 mph and around 30 mpg at an ave 78 mph.

Then I found this site and bought a scan gauge. What a wonderful device!!! It is permanently attached to our family truckster, a Mazda MPV. Not exactly a mileage leader but it is fun trying. Now I need to find something that works with my older Jetta/Peugeot, my real mileage challengers.

I have been reading on this site for a couple of weeks now, thanks to everyone for your writings, I will try to contribute as much as I can as well!!

BW

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
*shrug*

Hey, welcome to the site, hopefully you can show us what the tercel can do!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Supporting Member

BeeUU -

Welcome to the site. A Peugeot is another cool car to add to the GasSaver fleet .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Supporting Member

I talked to a VW guy about 2 months ago and he had swapped a diesel overdrive gear into his 99 jetta. He said the whole process only takes a couple of hours. I wonder if a similar swap is possible with your jetta.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

BeeUU,

Welcome to the site. It's a great place. I've learned quite a bit since I have been here.

The site has also given me the confidence to try some mods on my own that I probably would not have attempted otherwise.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Welcome to Gassavers, home of the DIY home brew gas saving, cheap folks.

I have a couple of cardboard additions on my car, for aerodynamic trials. Two of my kids who are older teenagers, offered to add streamers to the back of the car and tin cans, on strings, so that I could garner more attention and weird looks.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

As I mentioned my Tercel has complete new noses added, which was extremely effective, but looks strange. I have limited my self to taping openings/sealing gaps now, my wife almost had a cow the other day, I had vortex generators on the roof of the Jetta. See had flashbacks of the Tercel. Displeasure was noted.

I have not gone as far as tuffs, but I use the dirty water marks and dew patterns on the car to test aero mods now. Not as obvious.

lovemysan-
I would love to try the gear mod. I will have to check the ratios in my car. I would definitely make the change.

Thanks
Bill

Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Sounds like we've just aquired a great new member

I was wondering, do you have any picture of the Tercel's nose? I was playing around with the same idea on my Large car, with 15 square feet of flatness on the front.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Okay, I'll look up his email and try to get his writeup for you. I did look around where he told me to find it but couldn't locate it.

Okay, I emailed him but I'm not sure if he'll respond. He can be found over at www.tdiclub.com his handle is rjr311. Join up and pm him. You might could find someone who had already done the swap just by searching. Good luck.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

red91sit-
I will have to scan them and post, they are now 17+ years old!!! Yikes. I had about 4 different clips, each a bit better than the previous, particularly for durability. I was living in Michigan at the time and the winter snow is HARD on bodywork. Real hard when your are pretending to be rally guy and take out a snow bank at the side of the road!! So much fun!! It was fun making them, too. I made sure that the car was not damaged with new holes and that the original parts could be reinstalled. I have lost the recorded mileage, but it did improve quite a bit. Most significant was engine cooling (too much at first) and how much the car was sucked down to the road. The expansion joints became noticeable at speed!!

lovemysan-
Thanks, it is appreciated!!