Thought I posted/introduced before but haven't - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #1

Thought I posted/introduced before but haven't

I have been lurking this site for sometime and thought I have posted before but just noticed I haven't.

Specifics, I've frequently visited other sites just like many of us here who are passionate about mileage.

My rides:
00 Honda Insight (Citrus Yellow) - I custom made a set of Wasabi Insight stickers that look completely stock so that sets it apart form the other loads of green Insights out there. Current mileage isn't too great since I got the "product update" where they put in some new parts for the computer. They failed to replace my near dead battery pack so it is in a constant state of charge. I'm waiting for it to die, it's just not fun to drive anymore when I only get 60MPG driving extremely efficient. I should be getting around 75MPG using these techniques. I also used to have a Civic Hybrid for a few years.

'03 Toyota Matrix
- High mileage car that I bought a few months ago, lifetime average has been around 33-34MPG over the last 10,000 miles I've owned it. May be selling it soon to cut bills.

'95 Geo Metro - This one has an interesting story. A few weeks ago I was with my dad and saw a Metro 3dr and mentioned how I'd like to find one of those as a "backup " car for my 46 miles one way commute. He had just returned from my up north for my uncle's funeral and had mentioned that my uncle had one. I called up and asked if they still had it and they did so I said I'd be up to pick it up the next weekend (last weekend).

When I got to PA and saw the car I wondered to myself what I had gotten myself into. The paint was faded, tires dry rotted, interior nasty, engine caked with crud, air cleaner had oil in it, car smoked, light work when they wanted to, A/C didn't work, it ran rough and it had a horrible howl when it ran.

What I've done in the last few days:
Paint - buffed it out and "clay barred" it. Looks like a new paint job.
Tires - new cheapo Pep Boys tires (Potenza RE92's in the future) Next week my "racing discs" will be in.
Interior - just some time and lots of Armor All and deodorizor! Cleaned up nice
Enigine - replaced PCV valve and cleaned throttle body, plug wires, plugs, dist cap, rotor and changed the oil. Initial Pennsoil and new will be a full synthetic changeover in time. Runs smooth and doesn't smoke anymore.
A/C - just charged it - works great!!!!

The last thing I have to figure out is that howl and get around to fixing the lights, I know what is wrong with those though. I don't have a clue for the howl though. Possibly the tensionor. I figure I'll swap out the timing belt, water pump, tensionors etc. I know they aren't bad but parts are relatively cheap and this will be my main driver so I figure it'll be good piece of mind (oh, I get parts at a decent discount too)

Well, that about sums it up for an introduction. I can't believe I didn't introduce myself before. I've been lurking here so long I feel as though I already know most of you - I know that's creepy. Sorry for the rant but I figured I'd make it a worth while intro.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
*shrug*

Hey buddy? I might have seen you around but I'm not sure. It seems like a shadow on my mind perhaps.

Anyway, welcome, you're input will be very much appreciated here!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
battery pack

I am sorry to hear about your Insight battery pack...How many other owners do you know of have battery problems?
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey Wazabi. Congrats on the successful delurking.

I like your garage. Don't forget to fill out your garage info - even if you don't plan to use the gaslog, it's handy for putting your future posts in context.

Howling Metro, eh? You know, my '98 Firefly has a very, very slight howl when cold. It's not serious, and goes away really quickly, so I've never bothered to track it down. How many miles on yours? I'm just coming up to 10,000 km (6,000) mi.

Welcome (belated) to the site.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

man an insight... if I had one of those... 100 mpg would never leave my side.

that car is the most fuel efficent automobile money can buy... if i had 10 G"s i'd buy one in a hearbeat and use it as my work car. .... drool! cents to go to work and make dollars!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
that car is the most fuel efficent automobile money can buy
the fuel economy of insight owners is incredible, and isn't the insight just a mild hybrid as well?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

Guess it depends on your definition of mild. The Insight won't do EV-only mode like the Toyotas (unless it's Mike's Insight).

Remember GM calling its pick-up trucks "hybrids" a few years ago that had auto-stop and power tool inverters? (My FireFlea is arguably more hybrid than that when run occasionally sans alternator - and it's a solar / plug-in hybrid to boot!)

EDIT: I agree the Insight is an amazing machine. My stock response when someone asks why I put wheel skirts on the Flea is, "I have Honda Insight envy."
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #8

Thanks for the warm welcome ALL!

SVOboy
- I'm sure you've seen me around, I went under a different handle at GH.

tomauto- Most people I know with '00 Insights have gotten their packs replaced no questions asked BUT their car kicked up a code. Now that I've had the update done I doubt it'll kick the code. I also am not an avid contributor to my dealer's wallet. I just can't see paying $xx.xx to have 10 minutes worth of work done to my car. I never got around to getting ASE certified since my current job has nothing to do with cars and pays well so I won't be working on other peoples cars anytime soon.

MetroMPG- I'll be filling out garage info soon. Want the cars to be more presentable first though. My Metro has 77,000 miles (US), I think the howl "might" even be coming from the timing belt tensionor. Not happy about that though I was going to swap it out anyway, I want to wait until I have my garage built so I have a sanitary place to work on the car. Right now I am taking the term "shadetree" mechanic to new heights. I really do love the Metro, it's just cool. Back in the olden days I was dying to get a Sprint Turbo new........chose a $2k '67 Impala with a $3k engine that I could WATCH the gas needle MOVE it sucked gas so bad - HONEST!! I still have the engine. Oh, I also tell people my Insight is not green with Prius envy. Skirts are in the future for the Metro as well as belly pans once I finish the garage, it'll have a 4 post lift.

philmcneal- I thought that too, but it has to do with all the "right" conditions too. In my area it's a struggle to just keep at 70MPG (when the battery pack isn't in a state of charge). Actually, right now I have around 260 miles on this tank of gas and the FCD reads 62.9 and its normally right on. 10g's is what I paid for it a year and a half ago.

schmeep- The Insight is extremely efficeient without the hybrid, yes it is considered a "mild" hybrid though I don't personally care for the term. The other thread just started should list why the Insight is so efficient even without the hybrid system working - I'll probably chime in over there if someone doesn't mention what I am thinking. I'd love to get a Yaris 3dr, I did price one. My stable does include two 3cyl cars AND a 3 cyl..........TRACTOR, it's diesel too!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome and sorry for anything I spelled wrong, I'm not a scholar....just your average retard.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Us average retards have to stick together!

Just thinking out loud here..... I'm wondering if it would be better to be an above average retard? Something to strive for I guess.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
XFi
Registered Member

Welcome Wazabi! Glad everything has been working out with the Metro.

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote