tire pressure/new membership - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZ28 View Post
I understand some of you hypermilers use probably a harder compound tire than say I would... but doesn't over inflating cause uneven wear on the wires?
no. I've put 40,000miles on tires with 15psi over sidewall max so 50psi and they show perfect normal wear.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Some people put a little more in the front or the rear because they feel like it improves the handling characteristics of the car.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
Welcome to the site.

Yes the increased psi helps. Ive ran close to or max sidewall psi for years.

psy
Just remember that you will have a much stiffer ride if you max out your psi. The wheels will be much harder and not have as much give, thus transfering the job of making your ride a comfortable one to the shocks. So the ride WILL prob be stiffer but its up to you to determine how much comfort youre willing to sacrifice for better FE. I havent inflated yet but I plan to do at least a modest increase, prob about an extra 5 psi. I think my 98 Camry is set at 30 psi so I'll go to 35. I know the max rating is prob not that high so it should still be safe.
The only drawback I see, besides stiffer ride, is that the cars handling may suffer just a bit. You will have to test and see, but I think that a moderate increase shiould be fine. I think that some of these guys are KAMIKAZE for inflating to 55+ psi, but then again, Ive never driven on 50 psi so I cant really make that critique as I have nothing to base it on.
Premature tire wear in the middle MIGHT be an issue, but I guess that really deoends on HOW MUCH you go overboard. Im sure that a modest increase will prob not wear out your tires earlier.
I will increase my PSI after next week and report results. IM me if you want MY results but not till mid late July when I have results

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that tires built specifically for LRR tend to wear out earlier than most. There are lots of upset Pruis owners changing tires after just 20K miles. I would just get good quality regular tire that are reasonably fuel eff. Try the Michelins X-Radials (only sold at BJs/Costco type stores) and increase psi. Any other suggestions are encouraged. Like I said Im no expert and will be upping psi in about a week.

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyD View Post
The only drawback I see, besides stiffer ride, is that the cars handling may suffer just a bit. You will have to test and see, but I think that a moderate increase shiould be fine. I think that some of these guys are KAMIKAZE for inflating to 55+ psi, but then again, Ive never driven on 50 psi so I cant really make that critique as I have nothing to base it on.

You know these guys are KAMIKAZE's
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #16
FE nut

I can't say the exact pressure that tires have been tested to before they burst but, let's just say it's WAY north of 200 psi.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

If you do a test like that, use water instead of air, and stand WAY back...