Toyota Tundra Lover - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cowboyjack999
Toyota Tundra Lover

I have a 2003 Green Metallic Toyota Tundra Stepside a real Beauty and have bought but not installed yet a K&N cold air intake, a Throttle body spacer and Headers. I am doing this for 2 reasons one is to increase Power and by increasing power I will get better Gas Mileage by driving in a very easy manner. No Lead footing. I will report on my results.

Cowboyjack

cowboyjack999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Welcome to the board cowboyjack Good to see another guy with a truck

Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Hey guys correct me if im wrong but im almost conpletly sure that a cold air intake would worsen fe. Reason being that you can fit more cold air and gas in the cylinder which gives you more power but less fe.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

Pretty much, and warming the air may help up to the point where the engine pulls timing. I think a TB spacer is a great idea since it'd be equivalent to increasing intake plenum length, which helps out with low end torque, and could shift the peak BSFC regions lower in the power band. Headers are really YMMV. They may help, or they may hurt, and in this case, I'd stay away from them since a mod for low end power is already being made. Unless of course someone has a before/after dyno that shows a definite increase in low end torque from the headers.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

TB Spacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Pretty much, and warming the air may help up to the point where the engine pulls timing. I think a TB spacer is a great idea since it'd be equivalent to increasing intake plenum length, which helps out with low end torque, and could shift the peak BSFC regions lower in the power band. Headers are really YMMV. They may help, or they may hurt, and in this case, I'd stay away from them since a mod for low end power is already being made. Unless of course someone has a before/after dyno that shows a definite increase in low end torque from the headers.
On a side note, would a throttle body spacer help with other vehicle applications -- perhaps a relatively simple mod to increase torque?

RH77
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjack999 View Post
I have a 2003 Green Metallic Toyota Tundra Stepside a real Beauty and have bought but not installed yet a K&N cold air intake, a Throttle body spacer and Headers. I am doing this for 2 reasons one is to increase Power and by increasing power I will get better Gas Mileage by driving in a very easy manner. No Lead footing. I will report on my results.

Cowboyjack
Hey!

I have an '04 Tundra DC. Do you have an accurate baseline of your mileage as stock?
I am curious to see your results of your mods singly and as a whole.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Untuned
koffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
On a side note, would a throttle body spacer help with other vehicle applications -- perhaps a relatively simple mod to increase torque?

RH77
I would think so, although, it'd probably be best for torquey engines. I've seen a couple "reviews" that claim spacers help out by lowering IAT's, but that doesn't make much sense seeing as the spacers only provide an extra couple inches of length. The only reservation I have is that they probably won't help as much as aero or driving mods, something pretty far down on the list, maybe a percent increase in FE?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Supporting Member

omgwtfbyobbq -

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Your TB statement googled me here :

Increase MPG: The Factors Affecting Fuel Efficiency
(in a Jeep Wrangler)
http://www.omninerd.com/2006/07/16/articles/57

cowboyjack999 and Red in particular may find this page really useful.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
I know VnutZ from another forum (the guy who wrote that article.) It took him about a month to piece all that together when he was bored in the summer. It boiled down two things:

1) the ECU on the Jeep is too dumb (Speed Density system) to react to any changes in intake systems which has been proven from other jeepers via the over all ineffectiveness of all CAI mods.

2)The design of the ARB snorkel is does not favor easy flow. It is basically a large blow molded air tube bolted to the front fender, then fed to the stock air box using a length of accordion hose. As a result, there is little improvement over the stock system.

The end result was to stop figuring your average MPG and you'll be a happy jeeper

TB spacers are hotly debated as some claim that they have run them and are useless, others claim a noticeable gain.

Headers are in much of the same boat as the exhaust manifold is fairly free flowing from the factory. The primary restriction on the exhaust side of things are the head itself. Due to emissions, the exhaust ports are too small to promote good flow. The only I/E mod which has some confirmation of efficiency improvement is the replacement of the muffler.

For the Tundra, I think Toyo uses MAF for all their engine management, so long as you kept your foot out of it you should see some gains opening up the intake. IMO I'd learn all that there is about your engine so you can get the best idea of how something could improve its efficiency. Cowboyjack do you have the V8 or the 6?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cowboyjack999
Toyota Tundra Lover

I really appreciate your replys. I have a V8 in the Tundra and my baseline MPG is 16.2. As I install each of my upgrades I will let you know exactly what it does for me. Thanks to you all.

cowboyjack999 is offline   Reply With Quote