VX owners unite! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I've got the same transmission, it's not all that bad. Can't accelerate very much outside of 1st or 2nd though.
I find the acceleration of my VX to be very adequate when power is needed. I love it when you feel the VTEC kick in. So what RPM is your tach at at 60mph?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
damn... well, the 500+lb lighter weight certainly allows for a taller tranny. Dang, tho, I am envious!! Car is prolly pretty darn fast for getting 83mpg.
The car is even more driveable with the d15z1 than the orignal motor, I would love to put the vx cam on a cam reader, but I would guess that the off-vtec lobes are less aggresive than the stock HF lobes, granting better FE and a little more low end grunt.

As far as power goes, it has more than enough. I can beat my friends 4.7L V8 durango from 0-60. My only gripe is if I drive over the summit (7.5k feet), the tall 5th gear doesn't allow me to climb the hills. I'm still considering installing a small turbo (GT15) to fix this issue.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I find the acceleration of my VX to be very adequate when power is needed. I love it when you feel the VTEC kick in. So what RPM is your tach at at 60mph?
60 mph = ~1800 indicated. Dunno how much I trust the stock Honda tach, but from the math I've run, that's pretty close.

I'm surprised you can hear the cam change over. Maybe my interior is too loud (no carpet or anything). I could hear it on my race motor... =)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger View Post
The car is even more driveable with the d15z1 than the orignal motor, I would love to put the vx cam on a cam reader, but I would guess that the off-vtec lobes are less aggresive than the stock HF lobes, granting better FE and a little more low end grunt.

As far as power goes, it has more than enough. I can beat my friends 4.7L V8 durango from 0-60. My only gripe is if I drive over the summit (7.5k feet), the tall 5th gear doesn't allow me to climb the hills. I'm still considering installing a small turbo (GT15) to fix this issue.

Nahh.. just keep it in 4th!! That is genius your little 1.5L beating a car with an engine more than three times as big. Then again, the Durango prolly weighs about 3 times as much with much higher drag. Any idea what the cd is on your little whippersnapper?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
*shrug*

His cd is .29 if he hasn't done any modification, and I believe the weight is at 1500, right?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
His cd is .29 if he hasn't done any modification, and I believe the weight is at 1500, right?
Yup, thats about right. It has lowering springs, but sits about stock ride height because of all the weight reduction, so I assume the CD is still about the same as stock, maybe a little better because I don't have windshield wipers.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

I'm also a VX owner. Bought it with 238k on it, and now it has around 245k on it with a 120k mile motor in it. I made a huge picture and story thread regarding my minor restoration of the car.

If you want to check it out, here it is: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1994784

I'm away from my car right now (out of the country with it sitting under a car tarp), but when I get back I plan to do some MPG mods on it to make it an even more gas-sipping machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger View Post

I'm surprised you can hear the cam change over. Maybe my interior is too loud (no carpet or anything). I could hear it on my race motor... =)
When I first test-drove mine, I couldn't figure out when the cam changed over from sound at all. After driving the car for a few thousand miles, I know the exact spot every time....and I think I visit that spot too often.

Question to VX owners:

Does someone know the honda part number of or the link where the driver?s side rear cover is sold that fills in the hole created by the bumper? Thanks!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #18
Registered Member

I own a 92 White VX
I'm from Laval, Quebec, Canada
My car have 265 000km (165 000 miles) and still run like new.
I buy the car for 1600$ and put 1200$ on the front end(bushing, tie rod, ball joint, lower and upper arm...
I put low resistance tire with 40psi of nitrogen on OEM wheels. For winter I use Hakapileta2 with eco stud on another set of OEM wheel.

Presently my FE is at 5.5l/100km (42.75 MPG) I just ordered a new O2 wideband sensor, new MPG to come!

My baby, the gas saver and the viper heater!

Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Question to VX owners:

Does someone know the honda part number of or the link where the driver?s side rear cover is sold that fills in the hole created by the bumper? Thanks!
There should be a part number in my VX info link under my signature.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
There should be a part number in my VX info link under my signature.
I looked in there, gave up, and someone on Honda-tech ended up finding it for me. Thanks anyway.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote