Wait, how does this freaking work? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Wait, how does this freaking work?

Folks,

OK, I just signed up, added my car, and I'm going to use odometer readings.

Well, isn't this just GREAT. I get exactly ONE mileage blank to fill in -- and I have gone from zero miles to 366 miles on my brand-new car. Golly gosh, it just seems to me that there is NO WAY ON EARTH you can calculate mileage if you don't have a starting mileage and an ending mileage!

So, is there some kind of intelligent way to record my mileage here, or should I stop wasting my time already and go elsewhere?

Thanks for any help anyone could send my way about how to make this too-simple thing work properly.

thoots

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

I fill up on distance - so I use the miles travelled between fills, not the odometer reading.
So if you zeroed your trip (or wrote down the odometer reading) when you did your first full tank, then took your figure of 366 miles when you filled up a complete 2nd time, you get your MPG when you enter the number of gallons you filled up with.
Hope this helps,
This site isn't perfect, I'm in the |UK, but I have to turn my UK gallons into US gallons to get the correct MPG figure for my car!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

I really don't get how people still find this so confusing, it's very very simple math. It's fuel divided by miles, not brain surgery. So set you cars profile to 366 miles on the odometer, next time you fill up, add the odometer reading and the fuel you put in. Get it?

And benlovesgoddess, you can set it to UK gallons you know? Check the top left of the screen, is it set to UK gallons?

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 04-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

So everyone tells me Draigflag! Yes, all my settings are at UK gallons and miles.....but unless I multiply my UK gallon figure by 1.2 when I fill up, it is wrong wrong wrong!
If I multiply my UK gallons figure by 1.2, then the Fuelly MPG figure is the same as my actual MPG figure. I will look again, but all figures on ym dashboard are what I would expect to be correct!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

You need to edit your vehicle to fill up in litres, not gallons then, but display units in UK MPG

Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I really don't get how people still find this so confusing, it's very very simple math. It's fuel divided by miles, not brain surgery. So set you cars profile to 366 miles on the odometer, next time you fill up, add the odometer reading and the fuel you put in. Get it?
No! I just filled my car up, and I use a spreadsheet to calculate that, from zero miles to 366 miles, I got 34.97 MPG. So, do I just toss that fill-up into the virtual garbage? And therefore, forever and ever this silly site's figures will always be wrong, compared to my own figures? It just makes this site 100%, absolutely, completely useless to me!

So, no, I DON'T get it! Why on EARTH can't I record my first fill-up properly???????

thoots
Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

First off, just because you don't understand how to use the site properly, doesn't make it silly or useless, you're just overlooking something basic. Try also not to use attitude towards those trying to help you, or they will not want to.

For your first fuel up, tell me the exact info you put in and I'll try and help. Did you buy the car with 0 miles on the clock? Was there any fuel in the tank when you bought it and did you top it up? A fuel up is when you drive a certain distance from a full tank, then refill to the top again. Fuelly can't divide fuel over distance unless you've driven some distance and used some fuel.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to fatvet
Thoot's
I feel your pain....Let me see if i can suggest something.

This is how i do it. ( i setup my car to use Trip odom)

1. fill tank full of gas
2. set Trip meter to ZERO
3. Drive around until time to refill
4. Fill tank full of gas
5. keep receipt from purchase of gas.
6. write down reading you see on the trip meter.
7. set Trip meter back to Zero again.
8. on fuelly site i add a fuel up using the receipt and number you wrote down.
A. price per gallon = xxx
B. gallons = xxx
C. miles on Trip meter = xxx

9. you should be done after this.

If you don't use Trip meter and Odometer, it might be a little different.
Hope you give it a try.
-ALF out....
Old 04-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
BDC
Registered Member

My first recommendation would be not doing any more crystal meth.

Then, if you're really that broken up about it, just delete that fill up and create a new "first" fill up at zero miles or 6 miles or wherever it got the tank filled up.

Sheesh... This isn't rocket science
Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

ha ha ha ha!

Closed Thread