Ya another noob - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking Ya another noob

Hi guys. Im looking forward to getting better gas mileage. Im currently rocking a stock 95 civic DX coupe. My daily job is to bring my customers there pizza. I want to save as much money in gas doing this. Gas saved is money earned.

To date my best is approx. 48.0 mpg. It could be more accurate if I went from fuel pump click to click, then divide. I plan on doing this today.
I have a few questions
1. What is this Scangauge tool? Hope this is a normal ? for a noob.
2. I ALWAYS keep my tires psi at max per sidewall rating, Should I go to about 50-55 psi on a 35 psi rated tire? If I do this what kind of increase can be expected?
3. I have been thinking of doing a CX tranny swap. Sound like I can get a few mpg there?

I just received my AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0w-30 case w/AMS filter. I plan to get an accurate mpg reading, then change oil and tranny fluid and see what I get. thoughts?

I know the basics on keeping the gas useage down, (driving habit, correct alignment, cruise, so on so on. ALL replys will be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

Pizza dude

pizza dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
*shrug*

1. It is a normal newb question, but you can't use a scanguage on the 95 since it's not new enough to use OBDII computer stuff..
2. I run 50 on my 44s, but many would do what you're suggesting.
3. Do it! Tranny swap is the best.

Glad to see someone in a high useage job working to use less!

Welcome aboard.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Do the CX tranny swap. In addition to improved FE, your engine will also last longer (fewer rev's per mile). My CX has a DX engine in it. I got upper 50's/low 60's (summer), low 50's/upper 40's (winter) using hypermiling driving techniques in the days before I started aero modding it.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Welcome to gs
Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Supporting Member

pizza dude -

Welcome to GS! Your job will give you *plenty* of opportunity to tune for FE.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I think theclencher may have a good point there, how often do you get into 5th gear? If not often than I wouldn't think a tranny swap would do much (willing to be proven wrong on that point as I have nothing to back it). I expect that you get there quite often if you can get 48MPG running pizzas around. That is quite impressive!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Do the CX tranny swap. In addition to improved FE, your engine will also last longer (fewer rev's per mile). My CX has a DX engine in it. I got upper 50's/low 60's (summer), low 50's/upper 40's (winter) using hypermiling driving techniques in the days before I started aero modding it.
This is only true if you are driving fast on the highway!

A close ratio gear box will give you better fuel economy around town than a tall one, because it is easier to keep the car at low RPMs. Getting taller gear ratios when you are doing a lot of from a stop accelerating will get you worse fuel economy than a gear box with gears close together because you have to accelerate to a higher RPM before shifting, particularly first and second gears. What percentage of the time would you say you are driving over 45-50mph? I've done pizza delivery and it's a lot of stop and go. If you a delivering in a city then it's a lot of max 40mph driving. Anyway, some details on the type of driving you do would be helpful. If a lot of your driving is at lower speeds, I would think doing a lot of pulse and glide would be your best bet.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I think 60-65% of the driving is between 40-55 mph.
There are a lot of 45 mph roads. How about that 5 wire O2 sensor, how about if I made a grill baffle? any gas savings here? Please explain pulse and glide. Thanks guys
pizza dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

I was in your shoes last year, only I managed a pizza place and only delivered when the need was really there. My biggest tip would be to know the city and plan your route to optimize fuel use. I am new at this FE game, and I am sure you are aware of the above, but I saw a lot of drivers take some odd routes to locations, most likely because they were lost most of the time!! Looks like you are doing great so far! I wonder how long it would take to save enough fuel to pay for another trans.?
lancek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Sounds like you could benefit from a tranny pizza dude. What RPM are you at in 5th gear at 45mph? The 5 wire o2 sensor is very expensive and I'm not sure your car would be able to utilize it fully (or at all).

You may want to look into getting a SuperMID as that will work with your car unlike the Scangauge II as a way to know what is efficient and what isn't while driving. But from what I understand, you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined to install it.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote