Yet another one! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Team GasMisers5!

In the UK, small diesel automotive engines are everywhere - Peugeots, Citreons, Renaults. Also, Ford have made Diesel Ford Fiestas for decades - and older models can be had for next to nothing . Getting a diesel engine over here for transplant is very cheap and easy!

I've had ideas of a dual-fuel system, with a small 2-cylinder engine, mounted somewhere in the rear of the car, running on SVO/WVO, for long range cruising - the idea would be to make it as light as possible, and then have a very powerful petrol engine for the grin factor!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

That last "tank" wasn't a full tank. I needed some petroleum diesel to thin out the biodiesel already in the tank in preparation for some much (more typical) colder overnight temperatures. The 70+ is an anomaly that will be averaged out eventually.
This is actually my fourth Passat diesel. The other three came with the TDI engine. This used replacement with the VR6 was about 1/2 the purchase cost of a used TDI. I pulled the drive line from the third one I had repurchased following an insurance total loss and dropped the diesel bits into the emptied engine bay.
There is a bit of a time line on Fred's www.tdiclub.com in the 'forum' under the 'conversions' heading. Use my screen name (same here and there) as a search key to winnow out the others, or don't to see how they are progressing with their transplants.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi all | Greetings »