Yo - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Yo

I currently ride a 250cc Honda Rebel and am going to look at a CRX HF on Monday. I've always stayed local so didn't feel interested in FE beyond jumping on my small motorcycle to keep it cheap, but now I'm looking at 30,000-50,000 miles of driving a year so I'll be studying everything around here, asking questions, modding whatever vehicle I end up with and generally being the awesome personage that is SteadFastStylee.

Some of the things I'm thinking of doing are:
1. Front grill dam(or whatever it's called)
2. Full moon hubcaps
3. Wheel Skirts
4. Passenger and rear seat removal
5. Driving habit changes including drafting which I allready do for long trips on my motorcycle

I'm not totally sure on, but had these ideas flickin' around in my noggin :
1. Ethanol conversion/home brewing
2. Airtabs
3. Underbody streamlining
4. Larger Wheels(although this one might confuse me pretty good when figurin' out speed)
5. Lower the car

So...Hi!

SteadFastStylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
how would you convert to ethanol?? also what car? y0!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

The vehicle is a 1990 CRX HF. Here is a pic:

For the Ethanol conversion I was looking at http://www.flextek.com and possibly the use of a small fuel cell containing E85 for starting and shutting down and then a larger cell for main usage of homebrewed ethanol that hasn't been completely de-watered(190 proof) to keep brewing simple.

The Ethanol thing is only a pipe-dream right now though as It would require quite an investment of funds, license to brew, and time to brew.

Another option is of course just using nothing but gas station E85, but I'm still unsure about availability and of course the big $$$$$. With Ethanol FE lowers, so if the fuel cost at the pump doesn't reflect the lower FE it's just not a good choice.

One big advantage I've seen for Ethanol is it's ability to lower engine temps as compared to gasoline, which in turn can allow more "bottling up" of the front grill.....but would any additional aerodynamic advantages of further grill damming offset ethanols FE woes? I doubt it....it's brew or bust(or possiblly co-op brewing of ethanol like is done with bio-diesel, but then the question of liquor sales, tax issues, etc. etc. pop up BLAH!).

And yes it is alot of driving...would be 300-900 miles 4-8 times every 5-6 weeks...and one bad thing for data collection is that it would be a different route every 5-6 weeks....not alot of constants, but it would be good for overall US Interstate driving conditions and FE possibilities.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
*shrug*

Why not drop a diesel in and go wvo? That'd be the best, I'd think, but totally not stock,

For the HF, I'd work on a d15z1 swap.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Cost and return on investment are what I'm trying to work on...How much is the average cost for a d15z1? I'm already going to be dropping a bit over a grand for the CRX HF, the cost to put on new rotors, supply costs for aerodynamics, and possibly some other small things.

I'd also have to get the engine installed, so that's another few bucks....would it be worth it on a financial basis, or would it be all about geek factor(which I might be able to live with .

I actually have a question about engine swaps...would there be an advantage of putting the 1.3L in a HF? I'm not versed in Honda's, swaps, and the average fuel consumption of engines, so you'll have to forgive me if it's a stupid question.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
*shrug*

It might be worth it, might not. If you can get one used and cheap, then go for it. Fun to learn on, too.

You could put a 1.3 in, but it would be annoying since there aren't any that swap straight in. Go for the z1.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm actually looking at another HF now....asking price is $2450, which is about 1000 more then that other one, but it looks mint:

I still need to get a temp sticker for driving, have a friend take me 300 miles to look at it....but from the looks of it I think it's a winner.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadFastStylee View Post
I'm actually looking at another HF now....asking price is $2450, which is about 1000 more then that other one, but it looks mint:

I still need to get a temp sticker for driving, have a friend take me 300 miles to look at it....but from the looks of it I think it's a winner.
Congrats on finding a mint crx HF. A very rare find. I would try to get the dealer down though, considering that price seems a little high unless the car is almost perfect in every way.

Welcome to the site!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

I definately don't want to pay the asking price....but it is looking more and more likely I'll get this HF...The guy that is selling the other one is local, but everytime I've sent him a e-mail he either doesn't respond, or has put me off...I even included my cell AND home numbers in hopes I could talk person to person and set up a time to look at his HF....only so many days I can spend trying to look at a car.

That better looking HF is about 300 miles from me, so I've been kinda hoping something would pop up locally, but it isn't looking good.

Wish me luck on the motorcycle ride to go up and take a look at that HF....and also wish nme luck on it being a decent HF(looks through Digital pictures can be alot diff. then in person).
Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
Supporting Member

SteadFastStylee -

Welcome to GS! My favorite motorcyle! Do you remember the original 1980's ads with the Nails theme song LET IT ALL HANG OUT?

(This is the song, not the commercial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwcqefO-CxU

Can't go wrong with a CRX.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Noob | 93 civic si »