02 Ford Explorer..any tips - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

02 Ford Explorer..any tips

Hello, I've got a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 157K highway miles. I drive about 70 miles one way to work all on the highway..70mph. I've added an open air filter system, throttle body ext, use synt oil. I keep it up to par. I average 20 mpg now and was wondering if there are any other tips out there to improve my mpg?
Thanks,

Brett

Brettchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
*shrug*

Slowing down will be the best thing, keeping you tires inflated (or overinflated) will also help. Aerodynamic improvements can also be had if you're willing to do them.

Do you need the truck? You might save the most by trading it in for a more efficient car.

Welcome to the site!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks SVOboy.
At this time, the SUV is used to it's fullest. I'm a single dad with custody of my twin 5 year old daughters. We have horses so it is used to pull my trailer as well. As I'm 6'7" tall, and with my kids..smaller cars are not good for us. LOL
Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
*shrug*

Gotcha. I assume it's out of your price range to get a commuter and use the truck only for hauling/towing?

Since most of your driving is highway, I think you would benefit most from slowing down and aero mods. You can poke around in the aero section for some ideas there.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'm going w/ SVOboy on this one unless you haul your horses and kids into work w/ you every day. It'd be easiest just to get a small beater car for a commuter and work w/ that. It should only take a few months of your commute for it to pay itself off in gas saved, and if you test drive around there should be something that'll allow for your 6'7" frame.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the info. I'll do some checking around and see what I can find. Any suggestions on cars that will hold up and not break the bank?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Anything as long as you do the repairs yourself. Older Hondas/Toyotas tend to be pretty reliable, but parts are fewer and more expensive imle... I've heard that K-cars are absolutely the cheapest thing to own and maintain since there were so many of 'em, they were fairly reliable, and people junk 'em left and right.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
*shrug*

Hondas are always good in my experience. Look around at civics on craigslist and things and see what you can find.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

What kind of fan do you have on it? I gained about 2MPG changing from a mechanical to an electric fan on my 96 Tahoe. The fan is not needed at highway speeds, all it's doing is beating the air for no reason and putting a big load on. A clutch fan does allow it to slip when it's not getting hot, but it is still robbing about 30HP. I suggest a DC Controls fan controller with whatever fan you decide on. Flexalite is now making a fan set with shroud which pulls 6000CFM at max speed, which is more than the clutch fan will pull at redline. A 99 Silverado clutch fan will pull about 5000CFM at redline, and Chevy trucks are now being equipped with them from the factory, so towing is not an issue.

Another change would be long tube headers and a free flowing exhaust, but not too large. You don't say what engine you have now, I'm assuming you have the 4.6L V8. 2 inch duals or a 2.5 inch single line should work well. Be careful on muffler selection, SUVs are big boxes and the wrong muffler, even if quiet, will set up horrible resonance inside the truck. If resonance becomes a problem, adding a short glasspack at the back of the system will eliminate most, if not all resonance. Ford engines require a crossover on duals, which will also help with resonance. A proper exhaust can help gain up to 2MPG as well, and both mods will give you a lot more low end horsepower. Not only will this make the Exploder more fun to drive, it will also make it easier to pull the horse trailer, which will help save fuel then. Make these mods and keep your foot out of it, and you will save gas.

And, these two mods should make enough low end torque that you can change gear ratios. You can test this by putting a 10 percent taller tire on next time you get tires, if you still have enough power to get down the road this too will save fuel by working the engine less. Remember to multiply your mileage by the percentage difference of tire heights to get the correct MPG, and having taller tires will mean that you are going faster than the speedo shows.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

How about it sounds like more?

With your height, you might look into a Honda Wagon, from 88-91. The roof line is about an 1.5" taller than a stock honda, but it still gets pretty close to the same mileage as a stock Civic. If you get the Wagon, you can also remount the seat, to give you some additional leg room when your driving. With twin girls, you could use it to cart them around, except when you need to haul the horses or things.

By the way, if your getting 20mpg out of that vehicle, your already doing pretty well, for it's size, weight and that sort of stuff.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote