02 WRX wagon - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

02 WRX wagon

Hi guys,
I was considering buying a VW TDI, but I see that you guys are getting better mileage out of a 92 civic.

Is there any hope for my WRX wagon? What do I need to improve my mileage from 24 mpg (90% hwy). Car has new NGK iridiums, K&N air filter, Mobil 1 10 w 30 (as Subarus recommendation). Tire pressures are 33 fr, and 31 rr.
Thanks, Jay

Ps, I also have an 89 Acura integra, 5speed, 242k. I only get 28 mpg average with 90% hwy, 10% city driving, tires are 195 60 14 at 31fr 29rr.

95avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

The WRX was built for performance and has AWD and Turbo, correct? Not the best platform for FE but at least it is a 4cyl. Start with increasing tire pressure to the max sidewall rating. Go back to the stock air filter. The 24 MPG figure to 90% highway leads me to believe that you drive 70-75 MPH. If so, try 55. You will be over 30 MPG. I got 30 MPG easy on my Legacy Outback at 55 MPH.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
The WRX was built for performance and has AWD and Turbo, correct? Not the best platform for FE but at least it is a 4cyl. Start with increasing tire pressure to the max sidewall rating. Go back to the stock air filter. The 24 MPG figure to 90% highway leads me to believe that you drive 70-75 MPH. If so, try 55. You will be over 30 MPG. I got 30 MPG easy on my Legacy Outback at 55 MPH.
Hi krousdb,
you are on the nose about my driving speeds, unfortunately here on the NJ tpk, you are forced to keep up with the traffic, or you seem to be in the way.

What mileage do you get in the VX at 75 mph? Also, doesn't the ride become unbearable with so high of air pressures?
Thanks
95avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95avusblue
Hi guys,
I was considering buying a VW TDI, but I see that you guys are getting better mileage out of a 92 civic.

Is there any hope for my WRX wagon? What do I need to improve my mileage from 24 mpg (90% hwy). Car has new NGK iridiums, K&N air filter, Mobil 1 10 w 30 (as Subarus recommendation). Tire pressures are 33 fr, and 31 rr.
Thanks, Jay

Ps, I also have an 89 Acura integra, 5speed, 242k. I only get 28 mpg average with 90% hwy, 10% city driving, tires are 195 60 14 at 31fr 29rr.

I had an '05 Saab 9-2x (basically a wrx wagon). I drove it like an old lady & could only squeek out just under 23mpg. Maybe now, with everything i learned on this board, i could get a little more... but i think 30mpg would be a real tough sell.

I traded it out for a Yaris, and while i dont have the nice features the saab had, i do get 40+mpg
Old 09-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

2003 Evo

I had a 2003 Mitsu EVO-8 (similar to STi) and squeaked 24-25 if I REALLY tried (which was very rare). 18 was generally a "good" tank. Take into consideration the AWD takes away about 17% and the turbo (for performance) off of the bottom line. If you figure a way to get the turbo to benefit you at cruise (somewhere around here there's a thread about 0-psi turbo delivery or some shizzle). If you don't need AWD you could disconnect the rear axle and remove the driveshaft, you'll see and improvement, but at a huge expense.

RH77
Old 09-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95avusblue
Hi krousdb,
you are on the nose about my driving speeds, unfortunately here on the NJ tpk, you are forced to keep up with the traffic, or you seem to be in the way.

What mileage do you get in the VX at 75 mph? Also, doesn't the ride become unbearable with so high of air pressures?
Thanks
I have never had a reason to take the VX to 75mph. Maybe 65 tops on a downhill section of interstate. I just drive 55 at this time but may push it to 65 just to quantify the difference. I have had my tires up to 70 psi but didn't realize any gains over 60 PSI. The ride is just fine now at 60 PSI.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #7
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I had a 2003 Mitsu EVO-8 (similar to STi) and squeaked 24-25 if I REALLY tried (which was very rare). 18 was generally a "good" tank. Take into consideration the AWD takes away about 17% and the turbo (for performance) off of the bottom line. If you figure a way to get the turbo to benefit you at cruise (somewhere around here there's a thread about 0-psi turbo delivery or some shizzle). If you don't need AWD you could disconnect the rear axle and remove the driveshaft, you'll see and improvement, but at a huge expense. RH77
I agree that AWD is about as necessary as a stick in the eye when it comes to FE. On the other hand, I don't think you can just disconnect the rear driveshaft. On a scooby-doo, it's actually attached to middle differential. Disconnecting one part of that diff will cause it to freewheel leaving no torque to go to the front. Even it there's an active slip limiter, it can't be very efficient. There's also the added weight of all that extra hardware to drag around.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
I agree that AWD is about as necessary as a stick in the eye when it comes to FE. On the other hand, I don't think you can just disconnect the rear driveshaft. On a scooby-doo, it's actually attached to middle differential. Disconnecting one part of that diff will cause it to freewheel leaving no torque to go to the front. Even it there's an active slip limiter, it can't be very efficient. There's also the added weight of all that extra hardware to drag around.
Buggah. I was afraid of that, so focus on the turbo, I suppose?

RH77

edit: As I read it again, I apologize -- I should've put it "might" be possible to remove...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
Registered Member

Tempo Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
You guys are making me feel better for getting 28 with my old Tempo with the a/t. I always thought that was pathetic FE for such a small car, but you're making it look pretty good!
You love that car don't you? My good friend had one for many years and got rid of it when the sub-frame cracked and the car literally caved in the middle. I think it had close to 250K miles on it. A welder bought it, straightened it out, and we still see it around town It was perfect for FE -- light, low power, simple. I kinda miss that car...

BTW, they also made a rare Diesel version

RH77
Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Buggah. I was afraid of that, so focus on the turbo, I suppose?

RH77

edit: As I read it again, I apologize -- I should've put it "might" be possible to remove...
It's not that it's a bad idea at all (I've given it a lot of thought regarding my wife's Saabaru).

I think that you'd either have to defeat the mid diff (weld it or something) or change out the tranny for a 2WD version.

Either way, it would be real nice if we could elliminate the AWD waste for the 362 days out of the year that it's completely stupid to have. And those 3 other days we could just stay home and wait for the plows like we do anyway.