100 mpg car? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #41
Registered Member

Thanks Dad.

All good points. An additional aspect that we are skating around here is the cost of oil. I'm not talking about the price at the pump when I say that, but rather the impact on people and the environment to get it out of the ground and delivered where it's wanted. I say wanted because our 'need' for it is paltry compared to our actual use.

Would so many people continue to drive SUVs if they saw the poverty from the empire building and exploitation that is employed to get at another nation's oil? The bribery, extortion, and selling out that has run rampant in the name of oil is far beyond what most first-world citizens ever imagine. Nations where a few government officials sold out their resources for other deals that were leveraged highly against them have impoverished people that were otherwise getting along ok before we messed with them. Some of it has been due to outright corruption on both sides, whereas others have simply been taken advantage of to the benefit of US corporations.

Guatemala, Panama, Venezuela, Indonesia, Iraq, and several others are just a few of the larger stories when you start digging into the history of the oil import/export business. And those stories reflect very poorly on the nation in the middle of all of it - The United States of America.

I don't hate the US. I do however hate the ignorance, complacency, and outright disregard for human rights that Republican led governance has allowed to propagate for decades in the US. It's really very sad. But when it comes to the US love of the auto, apparently ignorance really is bliss.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #42
Registered Member

I thought this thread was about 100mpg? Seems to be turning into a soap box

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #43
Registered Member

Sorry, you are correct, but you can't ignore the mentality of the consumer in making such developments happen. At this point, the majority simply doesn't care.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote