100 MPG smart car myth - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #41
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
(I know I am going to catch crap for this one)

is there really much difference between a station wagon and an SUV?
yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyg View Post
Very little difference except in people's minds.
i dont know of any station wagons currently made that get 12mpg.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
yup.

i dont know of any station wagons currently made that get 12mpg.
LOL, even the big old wagons didn't do that bad. My 1980 Bonneville wagon with a big block V-8 and a 4bbl carb averaged 16 overall, and that was with a lead footed teenage male driving it.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #43
Registered Member

I saw a wagon at a drag strip once that someone had dropped a 500ci cadillac engine into. it was running 10s in a qtr. not sure the mileage though. that was a few years back. I think it had a blower on it too.

seriously though. I drive 40 miles a day (on the short days) my long day is 120 miles which gives me an average of somewhere around 400 or so miles a week. for a person like me, the smart seems to be a pretty good choice. we still have my wife's element that gets descent-ish mileage for when we need to haul stuff. I actually just put a hitch on the back of it and hope to soon get a trailer for "truck duties".

I am seriously thinking of getting the new 5 door yaris.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

You could have had a early 70's GM wagon with a 455 stock from the fatcory.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #45
Registered Member

this guy was proud of the caddy engine that he had. I am sure he put a lot of work into it. it was funny looking too. not your typical drag car.

I wish I could find pics of it.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I saw a wagon at a drag strip once that someone had dropped a 500ci cadillac engine into. it was running 10s in a qtr. not sure the mileage though. that was a few years back. I think it had a blower on it too.

seriously though. I drive 40 miles a day (on the short days) my long day is 120 miles which gives me an average of somewhere around 400 or so miles a week. for a person like me, the smart seems to be a pretty good choice. we still have my wife's element that gets descent-ish mileage for when we need to haul stuff. I actually just put a hitch on the back of it and hope to soon get a trailer for "truck duties".

I am seriously thinking of getting the new 5 door yaris.
You're going to hear from the naysayers the Smart isn't made to go 400 miles a week. Trust me - I hear that all the time.

That Yaris 5 door is a decent choice.....I like. I don't mind the Fit and I checked out the Versa too which doesn't seem to bad from just a once over quick test drive.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #47
Registered Member

my first car was a geo metro (with the 3-cyl) I was told once that it was a 60k mile car. one of my college teachers told me that. he then ask me how many miles I had on it. at that time I had around 110K on it. he then approached me after class and asked me if I was going to drive my car on the next trip to an electronics conference. it was about 2.5 hours away. I said yea why? needless to say I made it there and back without incident.

I understand that people will say what they want about this new car. I am currently on the list for one but I have a baby on the way so I am considering cars that will seat more than two. If I didn't, I would definitely be getting the smart. I like the new 5 door yaris because, well personally I like hatch cars and that gives better access to the rear seats. also the mileage is 35 higway where as the fit and versa are around 33. for that mileage I could get a matrix or a vibe.

still on the fence about the smart. I need to decide before february. that is when it should be ready

Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #48
Site Team / Moderator

Beef - No 80's model Volvo 240 diesel wagon with a manual tranny? 30 MPG, safe, durable, parts are easy to get, and lots of room. I've been thinking about getting one myself as a flea market car.

-Jay

Old 09-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #49
Registered Member

wellllll.......the part about that is this vehicle will be my wife's daily driver until the cav dies (hopefully years down the road) so it has to be super reliable and pretty much maintenance free. I am not afraid to work on a vehicle but the first funny noise it makes, the wife is done. also, she has some pretty specific requirements for our next vehicle. she likes the hatchbacks and she would like an auto though she has said something about trying a stick shift. I wish I could get the yaris 5-door in a stick (only auto offered right now)

on a side note: I have been without a stick shift vehicle for about 2 months now and this is the first time in my life (driving career) without one (over 13 years driving)....this sucks.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #50
Site Team / Moderator

Think of the Volvo wagon as a huge hatchback, and they are a lot easier to find here in the states with automatics. The Volvo diesels are pretty solid. Its nothing to find one with 300,000 + miles, and still run reliably. Even with an auto trans I think they get 24 or 25 EPA highway, and considering that its a big car that's fantastic.

-Jay

EDIT: I checked your local Craigslist (Greensboro I assume) and there are several 80's model Mercedes 300D's and 300 TD's, and even one 300 SD. - all under $5,000. Safe, reliable, comfortable, and great mileage.